Author Topic: Point Catalog at New Hard Drive, Same Data  (Read 1359 times)

Offline sdwheeler

• Newcomer
  • Photo Mechanic daily user since 2001
    • View Profile
    • Simon Wheeler Photography
Point Catalog at New Hard Drive, Same Data
« on: March 07, 2022, 11:00:28 AM »
I'm moving all the originals from one external hard drive, a 3.5 spinning disk, to a SSD. The file structure will be identical, it's just on a new drive. Can I point the existing catalog to the new hard drive without having to do a Scan to Catalog for the new SSD?

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Point Catalog at New Hard Drive, Same Data
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 02:11:41 PM »
I'm moving all the originals from one external hard drive, a 3.5 spinning disk, to a SSD. The file structure will be identical, it's just on a new drive. Can I point the existing catalog to the new hard drive without having to do a Scan to Catalog for the new SSD?

I think that if you were to copy all of the images to the SSD and also copy the .pmshare file (it's a hidden file) to the new disk's root directory (quit PM Plus first) and then unmount the old drive before restarting, it may just work seamlessly, or it may require performing a "Reintegrate Forgotten Catalog" maintenance operation on the catalog.

-Kirk

Offline sdwheeler

• Newcomer
  • Photo Mechanic daily user since 2001
    • View Profile
    • Simon Wheeler Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 03:02:53 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Thank you for the guidance. That worked perfectly. I just did a "Reintegrate Forgotten Catalog" maintenance operation on the catalog after I dragged the .pmshare file in. I did have to use Terminal to make the hidden file's visible. Googling for a keyboard shortcut didn't work

Thank you. Now I can get some real work done this evening.

Simon

Offline a_mumford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 01:26:39 PM »
Hi Kurt,

I followed the steps above and am left with the situation where I am left with a Catalog that doesn't appear to work and appears to still have folder path's pointing to the old location,  (see attach).

How do I fix this ?

Thx

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2022, 03:35:55 PM »
Hi Kurt,

I followed the steps above and am left with the situation where I am left with a Catalog that doesn't appear to work and appears to still have folder path's pointing to the old location,  (see attach).

How do I fix this ?

Thx
Can you tell us a bit more about when it "doesn't appear to work"? In your screenshot I see the (1) in parentheses, so it looks like like you've got something within /Volumes/OWC 24tB RAID 5 Thunderbay 4/Pictures/Our Pictures selected, which should mean that a "Browse" tab is open. Are you not seeing any images on this tab? If you click on a folder in the old path, does that bring up any images. If it does, is the status indicator green or yellow?

Offline a_mumford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2022, 11:25:22 AM »
Hi Kurt,

I was eventually able to fix my problem by replacing the old destination via the right click mouse menu options which I was not previously aware of.

However I had to try this more than once since the first couple of times it just seemed to hang for a long time and then return having done nothing.

After turning off all the other external drives and rebooting the option appeared to work and kicked me into the Sync control panel.

Not sure why it was so finicky since in all cases I made sure the original location was ejected before launching PM - maybe Softraid kext reports something funny to the system en after unmounting.