Author Topic: Preserving MacOS metadata when Moving files  (Read 1891 times)

Offline danielmiller

• View Profile
Preserving MacOS metadata when Moving files
« on: March 07, 2022, 07:32:22 AM »
I am running Photo Mechanic version 6.0, build 6245 (14de08a) on MacOS. (editing images over a LAN on a Synology DiskStation)

Unfortunately, I have a user who steadfastly refuses to use Photo Mechanic for file classification and will only use the MacOS Finder generated color-coded tags. But when using the Photo Mechanic "Move" function to gather photos into folders, Photo Mechanic removes those tags, making her irritated.

Can you make PM preserve the OS generated metadata during Copy/Move functions?

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Preserving MacOS metadata when Moving files
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 09:08:47 AM »
Daniel,

I am running Photo Mechanic version 6.0, build 6245 (14de08a) on MacOS. (editing images over a LAN on a Synology DiskStation)

Unfortunately, I have a user who steadfastly refuses to use Photo Mechanic for file classification and will only use the MacOS Finder generated color-coded tags. But when using the Photo Mechanic "Move" function to gather photos into folders, Photo Mechanic removes those tags, making her irritated.

Can you make PM preserve the OS generated metadata during Copy/Move functions?

If you move the files with the Finder, are the color tags still present on the moved files on the NAS?

-Kirk

Offline danielmiller

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2022, 09:25:40 AM »
Yes. I have tested creating a folder and moving a file using Photo Mechanic's Move function (using "Destination: This Folder") and also by manually creating a folder and dragging a file (both moving and copying) using the Finder. The metadata is only lost using Photo Mechanic.

-Dan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2022, 10:37:43 AM »
Dan,

Yes. I have tested creating a folder and moving a file using Photo Mechanic's Move function (using "Destination: This Folder") and also by manually creating a folder and dragging a file (both moving and copying) using the Finder. The metadata is only lost using Photo Mechanic.

The loss only occurs when using the Copy/Move Photos command (on the File menu)?  Are you applying a Metadata Template during the move?

-Kirk

Offline danielmiller

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 11:02:13 AM »
I can't say it "only" occurs when using the Copy/Move Photos command because I haven't done exhaustive testing, but that is where I have seen this behavior.
No, I'm not applying a Metadata Template during the move.

I have also verified this behavior from a different MacOS machine running Photo Mechanic. (Version 6.0, build 6245 (14de08a))

-Dan

Offline danielmiller

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2022, 10:06:21 AM »
Am I right in now thinking this shouldn't be happening?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2022, 10:17:14 AM »
Daniel,

Am I right in now thinking this shouldn't be happening?

The problem was happening with JPEGs and PSDs file types.  They have their own custom copy routines that can update metadata while they're copying and they weren't preserving extended file attributes.  I have fixed both of them and the next build of Photo Mechanic should solve this problem for you.

-Kirk

Offline danielmiller

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2022, 01:56:56 PM »
I hope you know how much you guys rock!
Nowhere else can a user get support like this from a software company.

Thank you so much!