Author Topic: Live Ingest of just RAW files creates JPG and XMP on copy?  (Read 1425 times)

Offline SzurszewskiJ

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Joe Szurszewski Photography
Live Ingest of just RAW files creates JPG and XMP on copy?
« on: March 16, 2022, 12:52:18 PM »

So I start a Live Ingest (connected to wireless tethering) that is configured to copy files from a landing directory to a working directory. I am shooting RAW only (Nikon NEFs). The Live Ingest sees the RAW files as they land and correctly copies the NEFs to the working directory, but it also creates a very small JPG and an XMP for each NEF in the target directory. Why? How do I disable this behavior? I don't want JPGs (if I did I would have shot NEF + RAW), so this is a bit of an annoyance. I'd also like to not create the XMP until it is needed, such as if that file gets a star rating or color label.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Live Ingest of just RAW files creates JPG and XMP on copy?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2022, 12:53:57 PM »

So I start a Live Ingest (connected to wireless tethering) that is configured to copy files from a landing directory to a working directory. I am shooting RAW only (Nikon NEFs). The Live Ingest sees the RAW files as they land and correctly copies the NEFs to the working directory, but it also creates a very small JPG and an XMP for each NEF in the target directory. Why? How do I disable this behavior? I don't want JPGs (if I did I would have shot NEF + RAW), so this is a bit of an annoyance. I'd also like to not create the XMP until it is needed, such as if that file gets a star rating or color label.

Please post a screenshot of your Live Ingest settings.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot(s).

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline SzurszewskiJ

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 12:57:09 PM »
Here you go:

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 01:01:53 PM »
Thanks.  Can I see what the source folder's contents are when you shoot but Live Ingest isn't operating?

Live Ingest should not be creating JPEGs from the RAW files, but it will definitely copy them if they're present in the source folder.  As for the XMP being created, I don't have an answer for that yet.  Can you post one of the XMP files, please?  I can look at it and see what kind of metadata is present and that may produce some answers.

-Kirk

Offline SzurszewskiJ

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2022, 04:40:30 PM »
The source directory starts empty (I've tried this several times and each time I start with a new empty source directory). By watching a Finder window, I can see the tethering software drop an NEF into the source folder where it sits for a second or two, then it's copied to the "destination folder root" and deleted from the source. The copy works, but now there are also the XMP and the JPG files in the destination folder root. All of the JPGs are really small, 128x85 pixels, and the XMP doesn't have much in it that looks interesting, but I've attached one so you can look at it.

I would love to get this figured out/worked around, so let me know if you need to see anything else or want me to try any experiments.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 05:13:21 PM »
The source directory starts empty (I've tried this several times and each time I start with a new empty source directory). By watching a Finder window, I can see the tethering software drop an NEF into the source folder where it sits for a second or two, then it's copied to the "destination folder root" and deleted from the source. The copy works, but now there are also the XMP and the JPG files in the destination folder root. All of the JPGs are really small, 128x85 pixels, and the XMP doesn't have much in it that looks interesting, but I've attached one so you can look at it.

The XMP file does contain some information (the implied frame number) and that information is lost when the file is (if ever) renamed.  The XMP is also preserving your credit and copyright from your camera.

The JPEGs should not be created by Photo Mechanic.  It's just not something it does when copying files.  Do you have some other software monitoring the destination folder that may be doing that?

If you really don't want XMP sidecar files, you can change the preferences in PM to embed XMP in RAW files.  However, not all software is compatible with embedded XMP so this is turned off by default.

-Kirk

Offline SzurszewskiJ

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 09:40:57 PM »
I have no other software monitoring folders, but just to rule out the tethering software (CamFi) as the culprit, I shut it off and simulated doing a tethered shoot by using Finder to manually copy an NEF into the source folder (while PM's Live Ingest was running) so I could see if I still wound up with the tiny JPG and the XMP files in the destination. And while the XMP file IS still created (and I wish there was a way not to), the JPG is NOT created, so apparently the tethering software, for some bizarre reason, is doing this. Which is really weird, but not apparently anything to do with PM, so thanks for your help and sorry for the waste of time.