Author Topic: Renaming with a text string only  (Read 875 times)

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
Renaming with a text string only
« on: April 04, 2022, 06:52:00 AM »
I have multiple files, all in different folders, selected in a contact sheet & use [cmd-M] to rename them. If I enter a text string in the rename dialog the 'rename' button is greyed unless I also use a sequence or other variable. This is a nuisance as I want them all to have the same name & means that I have to rename by the slower method of paste & tab. Am I missing something?

Thanks
David Hoffman

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Renaming with a text string only
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2022, 03:25:17 PM »
David,

I have multiple files, all in different folders, selected in a contact sheet & use [cmd-M] to rename them. If I enter a text string in the rename dialog the 'rename' button is greyed unless I also use a sequence or other variable. This is a nuisance as I want them all to have the same name & means that I have to rename by the slower method of paste & tab. Am I missing something?

The code would have to be changed to allow that.  Currently it checks to see if the names would be unique if they were all in the same folder.

-Kirk

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
Re: Renaming with a text string only
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2022, 11:31:38 PM »
DavidHoffmanuk

Kirk
The code would have to be changed to allow that.  Currently it checks to see if the names would be unique if they were all in the same folder.

I thought it might be something like that. It's a bit crude, FWIW I'll add dealing correctly with the paths to feature requests.
Currently, with larger groups of files, I have to rename in Media Pro or a renamer app, then sync & delete the 'missing' files. Is that my best option for large numbers of files?

David