Author Topic: sort by or find by aspect ratio  (Read 977 times)

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
sort by or find by aspect ratio
« on: April 09, 2022, 04:00:01 AM »
Hi Kirk

I'm trying to find a way to separate landscape, square and portrait format images. I found references to Sort by {aspect} and {aspectcrop} in some other posts. Neither is shown in the "Searchable fields' panel but I tried them and, perhaps unsurprisingly, they don't work - see attached.

I found a 2008 post in PM support where you wrote:
There currently is no function that compares height to width.  But we could add a variable like {istallerthanwide} or {iswiderthantall), or just {isportrait} or {islandscape} fairly easily.

None of those work either and, as with the aspect sorts, the order of the displayed images remains unchanged. Did it prove impossible to add any of those variables or has it been forgotten?

I found a reference from January last year to this post - http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13555.0 but it seems no longer to exist.

Other than using a different app to sort and keyword the files before syncing back in PM+ is there a way to do this in PM+ that I've missed?

David Hoffman

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: sort by or find by aspect ratio
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 06:42:40 PM »
David,

I'm trying to find a way to separate landscape, square and portrait format images. I found references to Sort by {aspect} and {aspectcrop} in some other posts. Neither is shown in the "Searchable fields' panel but I tried them and, perhaps unsurprisingly, they don't work - see attached.

If you search on a criteria that is unknown to the search system, it will be treated as a word.  If it isn't listed in the Searchable Fields, then it isn't a search criteria.

I found a 2008 post in PM support where you wrote:
There currently is no function that compares height to width.  But we could add a variable like {istallerthanwide} or {iswiderthantall), or just {isportrait} or {islandscape} fairly easily.

None of those work either and, as with the aspect sorts, the order of the displayed images remains unchanged. Did it prove impossible to add any of those variables or has it been forgotten?

Nothing is forgotten on the Internet. ;)  We did not attempt to add that variable.   We got little to no positive feedback on the suggested variables so it was never implemented.

But even if we did add them, they would be very slow for your purposes.  You would be doing a custom sort which would require all of the metadata for all of the images to be preloaded before the sort could begin.

Other than using a different app to sort and keyword the files before syncing back in PM+ is there a way to do this in PM+ that I've missed?

No, I can't think of a way to do what you're asking at this time.

-Kirk