Author Topic: Browse -> keywords disappeared  (Read 4333 times)

Offline michaelbothager

• View Profile
Browse -> keywords disappeared
« on: April 28, 2022, 10:19:21 PM »
I'm cleaning up keywords, deleting them from images. All of s sudden, the Organizer panel flickered, and Keywords in Browse - Metadata (IPTC) pane went poof!

See attached screenshot. I'v included the PM_log.zip, taken right after this happened.

Restarting the app brings back the Keywords in the pane.

PM Plus build 6474
macOS 10.15.7

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Browse -> keywords disappeared
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2022, 09:07:13 AM »
Michael,

I'm cleaning up keywords, deleting them from images. All of s sudden, the Organizer panel flickered, and Keywords in Browse - Metadata (IPTC) pane went poof!

See attached screenshot. I'v included the PM_log.zip, taken right after this happened.

Restarting the app brings back the Keywords in the pane.

Did you get to the point where none of the images had any keywords?

-Kirk

Offline michaelbothager

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 11:11:25 AM »
Kirk

-Kirk

Lots and lots of keywords in the images. Restarting the app brings back the keywords list.

Variations of this glitch has happened multiple times today, where only a few keywords are in the list. I've attached screenshots created today after I started this thread.

Also, I get messages about metadata preload failed.

In short, I'm experiencing it to be quite unstable at the moment.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2022, 11:53:00 AM »
Kirk

-Kirk

Lots and lots of keywords in the images. Restarting the app brings back the keywords list.

Variations of this glitch has happened multiple times today, where only a few keywords are in the list. I've attached screenshots created today after I started this thread.

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic Plus log.  In Photo Mechanic Plus go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline michaelbothager

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2022, 12:16:53 PM »
Kirk

-Kirk

I'd like to see your Photo Mechanic Plus log.  In Photo Mechanic Plus go to the Help menu and choose "Reveal Support Data..." and moments later a Finder window will come forward with the zipped log file selected.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your zipped PM log file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

I did attach one in the original post, and heres one freshly made ;o)

/Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2022, 02:13:34 PM »
Michael,

Thanks for the log.  Nothing particularly revealing in the log.  If you can get the problem to happen at will and can describe how I can get the problem to happen locally, I'll do my best to fix the issue.

-Kirk

Offline michaelbothager

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2022, 09:36:23 PM »
Kirk,

Michael,

Thanks for the log.  Nothing particularly revealing in the log.  If you can get the problem to happen at will and can describe how I can get the problem to happen locally, I'll do my best to fix the issue.

-Kirk

I have no consistent way of reproducing this problem. I'm currently cleaning up keywords, searching, replacing and deleting. The problem have occurred several times. I have a hunch it occurs after reading/updating a large number of tiff/psd files from an external spinning disk, where the operation takes quite a while.

But it is a stability issue of concern, since metadata in Photo Mechanic should be rock solid. Fortunately, I have not experienced any errors/wring data written to the files.

/Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2022, 10:22:27 PM »
Michael,

But it is a stability issue of concern, since metadata in Photo Mechanic should be rock solid. Fortunately, I have not experienced any errors/wring data written to the files.

It's likely just a caching problem.  We'll try and reproduce the issue.

-Kirk

Offline michaelbothager

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 09:49:04 PM »
Kirk,

Michael,

-Kirk

Using the Find command to find files with a substring in a collection does not select all the matching files in the collection. Is this also a caching problem?

The files are on an external disks, both ssd and spinning disk, file types are tiff and psd, and not small file sizes (200mb or more).

If using the same find in a contact sheet in the non-plus photo mechanic, it finds all the files as expected.

/Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2022, 06:51:16 AM »
Michael,

Using the Find command to find files with a substring in a collection does not select all the matching files in the collection. Is this also a caching problem?

The files are on an external disks, both ssd and spinning disk, file types are tiff and psd, and not small file sizes (200mb or more).

If using the same find in a contact sheet in the non-plus photo mechanic, it finds all the files as expected.

If the metadata hasn't arrived from the catalog then the Find is supposed to request that metadata and wait for it to arrive (you should see a Preloading Metadata message with a progress bar).  Then once the metadata is available the find should proceed.

Are there a large number of images in your collection?  Do you see a preloading message before it fails to find your substring?

-Kirk

Offline michaelbothager

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2022, 07:06:59 AM »
Kirk,
Michael,

If the metadata hasn't arrived from the catalog then the Find is supposed to request that metadata and wait for it to arrive (you should see a Preloading Metadata message with a progress bar).  Then once the metadata is available the find should proceed.

Are there a large number of images in your collection?  Do you see a preloading message before it fails to find your substring?

-Kirk

A collection of 70 images, tiff's (68 of them approx 2300px x 1800px, so not big files). The find should select almost all the images (filename containing -w). The find command selects 14 of the 15 images displayed in the viewport, where it should select 68 images. If I scroll through alle the images (down and up), and redo the find, it selects all the 68 images matching the search criteria.

No preloading message displayed.

The catalog is just shy of 7.000 images in total.

I've attached the logs - just in case you should request them.

/Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2022, 08:04:02 AM »
Michael,

Can you post a screenshot of your Find panel showing all of its settings, please?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline michaelbothager

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2022, 08:12:28 AM »
Kirk,
Michael,

Can you post a screenshot of your Find panel showing all of its settings, please?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Sure, here ya go...

I did the search, and scrollede slightly down to show the missing selections

/Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2022, 08:40:07 AM »
Thank you, Michael.  I will try to address this problem in the next build of Photo Mechanic Plus.

-Kirk

Offline michaelbothager

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2022, 08:41:57 AM »
Thank you, Michael.  I will try to address this problem in the next build of Photo Mechanic Plus.

-Kirk

No problem, I'm glad to be able to help.

/Michael