Author Topic: excluding keywords on export?  (Read 894 times)

Offline myotis

• View Profile
excluding keywords on export?
« on: November 08, 2023, 02:25:34 AM »
Is there a way of adding keywords, so you can search on them in the XMP, but not have them embedded in exported Jpegs (or Tiffs).

It's useful for internal organisation/workflow to add keywords that can be searched on, but these aren't keywords you would want embedded in exported Jpegs.

I am hoping there might some simple tool like enclosing a word with a particular character that identifies it as being for internal use only e.g. dashes  -possible for project D-, -Reference pic only-, -might suit agency Y-

I wouldn't actually use such long keywords, but I've written them out in long hand to explain the point.

Both Lightroom and Capture One have this facility. In LR you indicate that a specific keyword shouldn't be exported and in C1 you create a list of exportable keywords. Keyword not on the list aren't exported, It's clumsier than LR but serves the same purpose.

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: excluding keywords on export?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2023, 10:57:39 AM »
You can remove all of the keywords or replace the current keywords with a new set for the exported files. Just Apply the Metadata Template during the Save as or File Uploader utilities. Make sure to Clear the Metadata Template first and then check the Apply box for the empty Keywords field. This will erase all of the keywords from the new files while maintaining all of the remaining metadata. If you want to have a new set of keywords for the exported files, then add these to the Metadata Template Keywords field. Make sure the + merge check box is not checked for the Keywords field else the original keywords will not be cleared.

Best regards,

--Bob

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2023, 11:29:23 AM »
Thanks, but If I understand this properly, I'm not sure it would work

This looks as if it would work if all the exported files needed the same set of keywords, but in my case every exported file is likely to need its own unique set of keywords (with only a few keywords common to all files).

For example keywords might include a bird species name, and every photo is of a different bird species.

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2023, 11:35:28 AM »
You are correct. There isn't any way of preserving any of the existing keywords and excluding others in the exported files.

Best regards,

--Bob
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 11:50:32 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2023, 12:12:30 PM »
Thanks, I didn't think there was, but PM has many tricks up its sleeve that I don't know about

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2023, 12:19:27 PM »
Thanks, I didn't think there was, but PM has many tricks up its sleeve that I don't know about
By the way, we moved this to the feature request board so it can be considered as we look for ways to improve the product.

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2023, 12:32:58 PM »
Thanks,  I actually got an email notification of the move.

Offline Graham1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2023, 01:30:28 PM »
I think you could do this with Grep.  Create a particular structure for your keywords you do not want to export, such as placing them in square brackets, then run a Grep find and replace to remove them from your exported files. 

Here is a link to an article on Carl Seibert's website which includes my comments on how to do this:

https://www.carlseibert.com/clean-up-lightroom-keywords-in-photo-mechanic/

Hopefully it is reasonably obvious how to adapt this to what you need.

Graham

Offline myotis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2023, 01:23:46 AM »
I think you could do this with Grep.  Create a particular structure for your keywords you do not want to export, such as placing them in square brackets, then run a Grep find and replace to remove them from your exported files. 

Thanks for this, I'm pretty sure I could, having used Grep and REGEX in the past for cleaning up data before data analysis.

It's a good suggestion and once you start thinking outside "the Dam" (which I admit I hadn't done) there are a few potential solutions.

However, it is still much easier, in my case, to just manage exports from Lightroom or C1 until (if) the capability is built into PM