Author Topic: ingest delay: scanning source paths  (Read 1370 times)

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
ingest delay: scanning source paths
« on: May 02, 2022, 02:16:25 AM »
Mac 2018 MBP
MacOS 10.15.7
32 GB RAM
Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 6474 (389323d)

Ingesting CFE and XQD from Card there is always a 10 second or so delay before ingesting starts, The ingest dialog says 'scanning source paths'.
I upgraded to PM6 a few months ago and this may be when it started.

Also when I switch to PM from other Apps there is also a new delay of a few seconds.

Marc
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: ingest delay: scanning source paths
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 08:09:16 AM »
Marc,

Ingesting CFE and XQD from Card there is always a 10 second or so delay before ingesting starts, The ingest dialog says 'scanning source paths'.

How many images are on the card?  Ten seconds for a recursive directory scan on a full card doesn't sound out of the ordinary.

Also when I switch to PM from other Apps there is also a new delay of a few seconds.

It is likely that you're experiencing virtual memory paging due to a large Memory Cache.  How much memory are you devoting to PM's Memory Cache?

-Kirk

Offline mbbphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 05:27:57 AM »
Marc,

How many images are on the card?  Ten seconds for a recursive directory scan on a full card doesn't sound out of the ordinary.

It is likely that you're experiencing virtual memory paging due to a large Memory Cache.  How much memory are you devoting to PM's Memory Cache?

-Kirk

These are far from full cards, this is a new phenomenon, possibly from when we upgraded to 6...
Attached cache prefs image...
Thanks as always!!!
Marc
Marc

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 09:12:29 AM »
Marc,

What is the actual format of the cards?  FAT32, ExFAT?  What kind of card reader are you using and what interface does it use to connect to your Mac?

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 09:15:56 AM »
Marc,

These are far from full cards, this is a new phenomenon, possibly from when we upgraded to 6...
Attached cache prefs image...

OK, so it's not a memory usage issue.  You have 32GB and you're only requesting 3.2GB for the cache.

The other possibility is that you have several contact sheets open and by default on resume, PM will rescan them all for the purposes of checking for changes to the images/items added/items removed/items renamed.  You can turn this off in the Contact Sheet page of the Preferences dialog (Rescan on resume) which will stop this behavior.  However, you'll then have to rescan the contact sheets manually when you see fit.

-Kirk