Author Topic: Problems with saving IPTC Info  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Bildarchivare

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problems with saving IPTC Info
« on: August 10, 2022, 03:09:57 AM »
Has anyone encountered the following problem: if IPTC metadata are edited for a second time and saved there shows an error 'Unable to save IPTC-Info' and the file is destroyed. Is it a problem of flawed formating?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problems with saving IPTC Info
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 06:40:38 AM »
Has anyone encountered the following problem: if IPTC metadata are edited for a second time and saved there shows an error 'Unable to save IPTC-Info' and the file is destroyed. Is it a problem of flawed formating?

What version and build of Photo Mechanic are you using?  What file types are you using?  JPEG?  RAW? (NEF, CR2, CR3, etc.)

Can you share one of these destroyed files?

-Kirk

Offline Bildarchivare

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 02:21:01 AM »
Hi,

the version is 5.0, build 19749 (20d085a). Photos can be opened, edited and saved. The error pops up when an edited photo is edited and saved again.
Please see the screenshots attached. We use files of the TIF type. In this link from our HiDrive Server I share the destroyed file:

https://my.hidrive.com/lnk/hFyzO6t5

Thank you.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 11:18:48 AM »
I have reproduced this issue with your sample files, so thank you for posting that. We will certainly look into fixing this issue, but I will note that we are no longer updating Photo Mechanic 5, so whatever fix is necessary will only make it in to future builds of Photo Mechanic 6 and Photo Mechanic Plus.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 01:31:43 PM »
Would you be able to provide a file that was untouched by Photo Mechanic? It appears that the "intact" file in the ZIP that you sent was already modified by Photo Mechanic, so we are looking for one that hasn't been modified yet. It looks like this file may have been created by Irfanview?

Offline dennis

• President
  • Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 05:03:38 PM »
I looked at the sample file that was modified (at some point) by Photo Mechanic.

But some other program stomped on this file and wrote invalid XMP (un-packetized) and it moved data around such that our ability to revert the file was compromised.

I was able to recover the original file before IrfanView touched it, and I've recovered the XMP.  You can use PM6 to re-apply this XMP and get a valid file with all the XMP and IPTC still intact.  Andrew has a copy of this.

I'm adding protections in PM to recognize this corrupted data and prevent PM from modifying the file any further.

Regards,

--dennis