Author Topic: PM Version 6.0, build 6496 (19d779b) with fuji *.RAF images sidecar file  (Read 901 times)

Offline MyAdventures

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 6496 (19d779b) with fuji *.RAF images
Camera - Fuji XT-3, Compressed file.

I Am trying to figure out how to write location data directly to the raw image without creating the XMP sidecar file.
I have tried a few tests, and after reviewing the EXIF data post setting, it doesn't appear to get populated.

Also, the GPS reversed look up. Are we able to change where it fetches this data. i.e. Another source. I find it's not as complete as other programs I use when reversing looking up GPS coordinates. What service are using behind the scenes?

Cheers

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Here is a summary of how GPS gets handled from our developers:

If a file already has GPS in Exif (regardless if it is RAW or JPEG), when you set GPS coordinates, it simply overwrites the values.  It doesn't touch XMP.  If file does not have GPS in Exif, then if it is a JPEG it will try to add it but it needs to at least have a blank GPS directory.  If those options fail then it updates GPS in XMP.

Do your RAF files have a GPS table? Photo Mechanic cannot embed XMP into RAF files, so if it needs to write the GPS to XMP, it will create the sidecar file to do so.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
To answer the second part of your question, you cannot change the source of the reverse geocoding information. We use Open Street Map data, but our automatic updates have been broken for some time (a fix for this is planned but I don't have an estimate of when the work would be completed at this time).

Offline MyAdventures

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Thanks for the reply and that aligns with my testing.

My workflow uses reverse GEO tagging info to auto-name files and save into the correct location.
For now, I will continue using Houdah post PM to write this info to the raf file.

Cheers