Author Topic: Apple Silicon Support  (Read 3538 times)

Offline threiner

• View Profile
Re: Apple Silicon Support
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2023, 07:11:34 AM »
Any news on Apple Silicon Support?

Offline toadhall_manager

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2024, 12:25:11 PM »
After Camera Bits has moved to a subscription model, I need an update from CB on Apple Silicon support. I get it, PM is heavily disk dependent not processor bottle-necked. Having faster drives is my responsibility, and I average 2002MB/s write and 2486MB/s read. I've done my part, and am putting this back on you to update the PM community with a roadmap for Apple silicon development. Rosetta emulation is not a solution, it's a workaround.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2024, 12:46:46 PM »
After Camera Bits has moved to a subscription model, I need an update from CB on Apple Silicon support. I get it, PM is heavily disk dependent not processor bottle-necked. Having faster drives is my responsibility, and I average 2002MB/s write and 2486MB/s read. I've done my part, and am putting this back on you to update the PM community with a roadmap for Apple silicon development. Rosetta emulation is not a solution, it's a workaround.

Support for Apple Silicon is what I've worked on day in and day out for several months now.  It is my highest priority.  When the effort will be completed is not certain at this point but we'll definitely put out a beta for interested users to test once it is ready.

-Kirk

Offline ddegner

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Boston Photographer
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2024, 08:31:19 AM »
Thanks for the update Kirk!

I'm sure it quickly gets complicated re-writing a multi-platform, highly optimized, program like this.
Just another Boston based photographer doing the photojournalism and commercial photography thing.

Offline willievass

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2024, 06:46:10 AM »
Sign me up for the beta when it's ready for public testing.

Offline vale

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2024, 11:14:21 AM »
You got the response on this topic:

The next major release of Photo Mechanic will be native for both 64-bit Intel and Arm processors.  I am expecting it to be out in about a year from now.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2024, 11:27:12 AM »
You got the response on this topic:

The next major release of Photo Mechanic will be native for both 64-bit Intel and Arm processors.  I am expecting it to be out in about a year from now.

My estimate was way off the mark.  Other work got in the way of that effort and put it behind schedule.  You're right.  But I will persevere until the task is complete.

-Kirk