Author Topic: Duplicates in the catalog  (Read 1086 times)

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
Duplicates in the catalog
« on: October 08, 2022, 12:03:43 PM »
I am seeing a lot of duplicates in the catalog. Are these from different folders? How do I tell? Is there a way to consolidate these?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Duplicates in the catalog
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2022, 02:26:09 PM »
I am seeing a lot of duplicates in the catalog. Are these from different folders? How do I tell? Is there a way to consolidate these?

When you click on one photo, look to the bottom of the window and its full path will be displayed.  Click on a duplicate and compare the two paths.  Are they the same path or do they have different paths.

Also, it may be that you have more than one catalog set for search and you're seeing results from both catalogs.

-Kirk

Offline obelix74

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 01:41:53 PM »
Hi Kirk

Thanks, when I open the photo, I don't see the path, but I was able to do "reveal in finder" and figured that they are in two different drives and duplicated in two different folders.  Is there a way to turn on the path through a setting somewhere?

Also, within a volume, can I easily find out all duplicates so I can delete them?

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 02:30:14 PM »
Thanks, when I open the photo, I don't see the path, but I was able to do "reveal in finder" and figured that they are in two different drives and duplicated in two different folders.  Is there a way to turn on the path through a setting somewhere?

Single-clicking on a thumbnail in the Contact Sheet view will show the path at the bottom of the window.

Also, within a volume, can I easily find out all duplicates so I can delete them?

No, this is not a feature that currently exists in Photo Mechanic Plus.

Perhaps this will be of use? https://www.howtogeek.com/201007/how-to-find-and-remove-duplicate-files-on-mac-os-x/

-Kirk