Author Topic: PM+ -- newbie Scan-to-catalog question  (Read 979 times)

Offline MikeA

• View Profile
PM+ -- newbie Scan-to-catalog question
« on: October 21, 2022, 06:11:11 PM »
Trying the demo of PM+ (Windows). I'm familiar with PM 5/6, but not with the catalog version.

I have bazillions of raw and JPEG files in multiple directories, like so:

E:\Memory-card-backup\2008-07-28 (raw files only)
E:\Memory-card-backup\2008-07-28\JPEG (JPEGs only)
E:\Memory-card-backup\2008-10-30
E:\Memory-card-backup\2008-10-30\JPEG (and so on)

I want to add all raw and JPEGs in those directories to a new catalog (which is empty at the moment). Can the global IPTC template be applied during scan-to-catalog ("S-t-c") with XMP files created? There doesn't seem to be such an option in the S-t-c dialog, and this isn't mentioned in the online help.

For now I won't copy the images anywhere—they should just be added to a catalog. So although "Ingest" supports auto-applying IPTC data (and creating XMP files), it's surely the wrong command for this purpose. It requires a destination for the image files and I'm not planning to move them anywhere for a while.

If this can't be done via S-t-c, what's the efficient way (post-scan) to batch-apply the template/create XMP for the hundreds of files in the subdirectories? (For starters the only metadata I want to add is: "© {year4} myname" and a single keyword: "{year4}"—where "{year4}" is the year portion of the creation date for a given image.)
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can invent as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM+ -- newbie Scan-to-catalog question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 09:50:36 PM »
Mike,

Trying the demo of PM+ (Windows). I'm familiar with PM 5/6, but not with the catalog version.

I have bazillions of raw and JPEG files in multiple directories, like so:

E:\Memory-card-backup\2008-07-28 (raw files only)
E:\Memory-card-backup\2008-07-28\JPEG (JPEGs only)
E:\Memory-card-backup\2008-10-30
E:\Memory-card-backup\2008-10-30\JPEG (and so on)

I want to add all raw and JPEGs in those directories to a new catalog (which is empty at the moment). Can the global IPTC template be applied during scan-to-catalog ("S-t-c") with XMP files created?

No.

What's the efficient way (post-scan) to batch-apply the template/create XMP for the hundreds of files in the subdirectories? (For starters the only metadata I want to add is: "© {year4} myname" and a single keyword: "{year4}"—where "{year4}" is the year portion of the creation date for a given image.)

The Metadata (IPTC) Template is useful for this purpose.  It can be done before or after adding to your catalog.

-Kirk

Offline MikeA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 12:07:17 AM »
(me:) Can the global IPTC template be applied during scan-to-catalog ("S-t-c") with XMP files created?

No.

I'll put in a feature request for that in the requests sub-forum (if it hasn't been requested already).

Quote from: Kirk Baker
(me:) What's the efficient way (post-scan) to batch-apply the template/create XMP for the hundreds of files in the subdirectories?

The Metadata (IPTC) Template is useful for this purpose.  It can be done before or after adding to your catalog.
-Kirk

I know the IPTC template is the way to go. Can the user select a large number of directories at once, and tell Photo Mechanic+ to apply that particular template's contents to all of the image files in the directories (and their child directories)? Or even select the one parent directory for all of them, and apply the template to it in a way that updates all of its child directories?

If not: Is it done by opening each directory in turn as a contact sheet and applying the template...then going on to the next directory (opened as a contact sheet)? (This is probably documented somewhere—I just haven't found the page in question yet.)

Thanks.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can invent as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 12:02:42 PM »
Can the user select a large number of directories at once, and tell Photo Mechanic+ to apply that particular template's contents to all of the image files in the directories (and their child directories)? Or even select the one parent directory for all of them, and apply the template to it in a way that updates all of its child directories?

Yes, all possible.

If you're using the Navigator, right-click the parent folder and click "open folder and subfolders in new contact sheet". If the files are not all contained within a single parent folder, double-click on one to open as a Contact Sheet, then hold the modifier key while double-clicking on the rest. You'll the items from each successive folder get added to the current contact sheet.

If you're using the Organizer to only deal with files that have been added to a catalog, go to the Browse tab, click the Folder Path dropdown. Click a parent folder to show all of its subfolders' contents. Hold Commmand or Ctrl when clicking on a folder to select multiple folders and they will all be displayed on the Contact Sheet.

Offline MikeA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 04:02:37 PM »
Yes, all possible.

Good to know—thanks.
– Anonymous cynic