Author Topic: New setup, PM issues  (Read 618 times)

Offline wdp

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
New setup, PM issues
« on: January 23, 2023, 06:47:13 PM »
It's been awhile since I configured a new work setup, so Im a little rust when everything is a fresh install.

I recently got a new laptop (macOS) and new storage server (TrueNAS mounted via SMB). This is replacing some aging equipment, but things have worked fine until I throw something new in the mix. Now I'm throwing 2-3 new things in the mix.

Out of the box, photo mechanic is slow to load folders from the smb volume. Dragging images to lightroom seems unstable, often resulting in a both apps hanging and crashing or one or the other stalling out trying to load folders from the network. I have already disabled rescan on focus.

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting though?

14" M1 Macbook Pro
13.1 (22C65)
10GbE
SMB network share from a TrueNAS 13.0-U3
Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 6738 (5753775)

Disk speed tests are 800 MB/s write and 1050 MB/s read.

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: New setup, PM issues
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 08:39:23 PM »
It's been awhile since I configured a new work setup, so Im a little rust when everything is a fresh install.

I recently got a new laptop (macOS) and new storage server (TrueNAS mounted via SMB). This is replacing some aging equipment, but things have worked fine until I throw something new in the mix. Now I'm throwing 2-3 new things in the mix.

Out of the box, photo mechanic is slow to load folders from the smb volume. Dragging images to lightroom seems unstable, often resulting in a both apps hanging and crashing or one or the other stalling out trying to load folders from the network. I have already disabled rescan on focus.

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting though?

14" M1 Macbook Pro
13.1 (22C65)
10GbE
SMB network share from a TrueNAS 13.0-U3
Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 6738 (5753775)

Disk speed tests are 800 MB/s write and 1050 MB/s read.

What do those speeds refer to, the NAS?

Since you're troubleshooting, test your workflow with local drives, eliminating the NAS from the equation.  Is the speed good?  Does Lr or PM hang during drag and drop anymore?

If PM is still slow to open folders or hanging still occurs, then the NAS isn't the problem.  If all of the problems cease, then I'd look into the NAS for your troubleshooting.  PM is not fast at all on a NAS, but it shouldn't hang when working with one.

-Kirk