Author Topic: slow metadata on Ventura  (Read 1280 times)

Offline SAMouzon

• View Profile
    • The Original Green Blog
slow metadata on Ventura
« on: February 18, 2023, 12:31:47 PM »
I just bought a MacBook Pro 16-inch M2 Max running Ventura 13.2.1 and Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 6738. Today is my first day using PM since migrating to this machine, and while most things seem to be working as usual, anything having to do with metadata can take almost a half-minute before releasing the beach ball. Even just tagging a photo, which seems like that's the simplest possible metadata you could update, takes a very long time. Is this a known issue?

Offline SAMouzon

• View Profile
Re: slow metadata on Ventura
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 12:41:40 PM »
I should add that this isn't an every-time problem; about half the time anything involving metadata acts completely normal; the other half of the time there's 15-30 seconds of the spinning beach ball. And it's not the normal spin... it seems to be "stuttering," for lack of a better term.

Offline kim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 11:58:13 PM »
I also have a brand new MacBook Pro 16 with build 6738 and Ventura 13.2.1. I do not experience any delays in adding metadata.
-kim

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2023, 01:16:30 PM »
I should add that this isn't an every-time problem; about half the time anything involving metadata acts completely normal; the other half of the time there's 15-30 seconds of the spinning beach ball. And it's not the normal spin... it seems to be "stuttering," for lack of a better term.

Where are your photos stored?  Internal SSD?  External USB drive?  Network drive?

What kind of images have the issue?

-Kirk

Offline SAMouzon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2023, 03:29:14 PM »
Kirk, my images are stored on an external Thunderbolt RAID drive. It has always been really fast, which makes me think it's more likely to be a software issue. I shoot RAW and convert to DNG, then save JPGs from those.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 03:45:21 PM »
Kirk, my images are stored on an external Thunderbolt RAID drive. It has always been really fast, which makes me think it's more likely to be a software issue. I shoot RAW and convert to DNG, then save JPGs from those.

For a problem like this, I suggest contacting our support folks at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2888

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]