Author Topic: Photo Mechanic Plus generating network traffic  (Read 684 times)

Offline BobNL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic Plus generating network traffic
« on: March 07, 2023, 04:19:23 AM »
We had problems with our Internet connection and when checking the network traffic I noticed that Photomechanic Plus is generating a considerable amount of network traffic. I'm using only directly attached drives and no automatic uploads or anything like that. So basically no network traffic should be there. What is this traffic, and how can I minimize/stop it from being generated?

The following screenshot is after doing a quick catalog sync. At the moment it is ever increasing while generating previews and gathering metadata.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photo Mechanic Plus generating network traffic
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2023, 09:12:50 AM »
Bob,

We had problems with our Internet connection and when checking the network traffic I noticed that Photomechanic Plus is generating a considerable amount of network traffic. I'm using only directly attached drives and no automatic uploads or anything like that. So basically no network traffic should be there. What is this traffic, and how can I minimize/stop it from being generated?

The following screenshot is after doing a quick catalog sync. At the moment it is ever increasing while generating previews and gathering metadata.

The Catalog processes (those pm-task processes you see) communicate over localhost with Photo Mechanic Plus.  This is how it works.  It should not be communicating via your local network.  All of the communication is internal to your computer.

-Kirk

Offline BobNL

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Mechanic Plus generating network traffic
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2023, 05:50:10 AM »
Thank you Kirk, I now understand. After seeing the complete amounts later (several GB's) I figured as much.