Author Topic: PM does not show DNG files  (Read 601 times)

Offline threiner

• View Profile
PM does not show DNG files
« on: March 14, 2023, 09:56:13 AM »
I have a problem that PM is not rendering my dng files i only have a black thumbnail and cant open the files an the preview. very strange

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM does not show DNG files
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 09:58:20 AM »
I have a problem that PM is not rendering my dng files i only have a black thumbnail and cant open the files an the preview. very strange

PM doesn't render DNG files or any other RAW file.  It is likely that your DNG files have no embedded preview which is what PM shows as thumbnails and previews.  You can run them through Adobe's free DNG Converter program and force them to have full-size previews.  This should correct the problem.

-Kirk

Offline threiner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 10:00:45 AM »
hmm strange thats an extra step making it very slow... is there no other solution?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 10:06:40 AM »
hmm strange thats an extra step making it very slow... is there no other solution?

It only has to be done once and can be done in bulk.  Otherwise, you'll have to find out why your DNG files are being created without previews and correct that problem.  That would be best, if you can get the files to be equipped with quality previews in the first place.

What camera or application is producing these DNG files?

-Kirk

Offline threiner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2023, 10:25:51 AM »
they are generated out of photomatix. i have just asked there support why the preview is missing.