Author Topic: PM+ & Adobe DNG converter  (Read 483 times)

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
PM+ & Adobe DNG converter
« on: May 19, 2023, 05:56:55 AM »
Mac OS10.14.6, Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 6784 (409cf99)

WhenI click on a .dng file in PM+ to open a larger view Adobe DNG converter opens, bounces up & down in the dock, closes and then repeats this cycle continually so long as the .dng remains selected, even if its window is not open. Is this an expected behaviour and what's the purpose?

David Hoffman

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM+ & Adobe DNG converter
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 08:29:29 AM »
David,

Mac OS10.14.6, Photo Mechanic Plus Version 6.0, build 6784 (409cf99)

WhenI click on a .dng file in PM+ to open a larger view Adobe DNG converter opens, bounces up & down in the dock, closes and then repeats this cycle continually so long as the .dng remains selected, even if its window is not open. Is this an expected behaviour and what's the purpose?

I take it that you have turned on RAW rendering via the Adobe DNG Converter? (Preferences->Render Cache->Enable RAW Rendering)

If so, then for each RAW file in your contact sheet (not just the one you're looking at in the Preview window), the Adobe DNG Converter will be used to generate previews.

Unless the DNG file you're wanting to view has no embedded preview, you don't need to turn on the RAW rendering in order to view your DNG file.

I suggest turning that feature off unless you really need it.  And even then, an alternative would be to run the DNG Converter on the DNG file and have it add a full resolution preview in it (and any others that need the same treatment).  This way, you'll only have to do this once and won't need to have the previews generated on demand.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline DavidHoffmanuk

• View Profile
Re: PM+ & Adobe DNG converter
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 10:40:50 AM »
Thanks Kirk

That's fixed it. My DNGs do have previews and I'd misunderstood the purpose of that RAW rendering option.

David