Author Topic: Twitter Uploader Connection Problem  (Read 698 times)

Offline RogerB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Twitter Uploader Connection Problem
« on: May 20, 2023, 06:00:31 AM »
Photo Mechanic Plus 6.0, Build 6784 (409cf99)
MacBook Air M2 with MacOS 13.4

I last used the Twitter uploader a couple of weeks ago and it was working fine.  Just tried now and I'm getting an error message "Error: Could not authenticate you. Please click the Connections button to reauthorize Photo Mechanic."  If I click the connections button and select "Add/Replace Account" I get a pop up message saying "Server error: Could not authenticate you."

I also use the SmugMug uploader which is working OK.

Is this a consequence of changes at Twitter (I remember they were threatening to charge for API access) or a problem at the Twitter end, or is there a Photo Mechanic problem with authorisation?

Offline FritzImages

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Twitter Uploader Connection Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 01:02:14 PM »
I'm having the same issue. I upload via PM+ images and text to Twitter. It was not working today. Same error message and lack of fixing/tblshooting. I also checked my personal Twitter API (Basic) and everything appeared normal there. PM log indicates a Twitter connection error.   I also tried to delete my account and then add an account. Did not work, and now PM will not progress any further, and PM error pops up, and I cannot log the image to PM upload folder.  I also updated to the latest PM version, after the initial pbm, and the same upload issue exists.

Offline RogerB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 02:15:17 AM »
A further update.  In my initial report of this issue I said that the Smugmug uploader was working OK, which I based on the fact that it was reporting my files were "ready to upload".  However, it's not working. I've just tried a Reload after creating a new gallery outside of PM and no galleries are being found.  Attempting to create a gallery from the uploader returns an error: "Failed to create Gallery test on server. Error: No parent folder UrlPath."

Could this be a problem with all uploaders that use OAuth?

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 01:41:39 PM »
A further update.  In my initial report of this issue I said that the Smugmug uploader was working OK, which I based on the fact that it was reporting my files were "ready to upload".  However, it's not working. I've just tried a Reload after creating a new gallery outside of PM and no galleries are being found.  Attempting to create a gallery from the uploader returns an error: "Failed to create Gallery test on server. Error: No parent folder UrlPath."

Could this be a problem with all uploaders that use OAuth?

I was successfully able to upload images to Smugmug as well as create both a gallery and an album using our test account. Are you still having this issue?

The Twitter issue is due to them deprecating the version of the API we were using, we are looking into what supporting Twitter will look like moving forward. If we are able to add support for their new API, that support will require updating to a new build of Photo Mechanic when we release it. If a new build includes support for the new version of Twitter's API, it will be noted in the release notes for the build on our Announcements forum, or you can view them in the readme PDF in the installer on MacOS or in Photo Mechanic's installation directory on Windows​.

Offline RogerB

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 02:07:35 PM »
Hi Andrew. I've tried SmugMug uploading again and it now seems to be working, so whatever the issue was this morning was temporary.

Thanks for the update on the Twitter uploader, it's unfortunate that it's stopped working, hopefully support for the new API will be possible and introduced in the not too distant future, I'll keep an eye on the release notes.  In the meantime I'll have to adopt a somewhat clunky work around using the browser.