Author Topic: In comparison view right image not showing star rating panel  (Read 173 times)

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
In comparison view right image not showing star rating panel
« on: April 22, 2024, 02:54:43 PM »
I'm using PM 6.0 build 7102. M1 MacBook Pro, 32 GB Ram, Mac OS Sonoma 14.4.1.

After using PM for a while the star rating for the second image stops showing in comparison view (horizontal or vertical comparison). When I quit PM the "Clearing Disk Cache" dialog progress shows. When I restart PM the star rating for both shows again. There are about 3300 images in the folder. Canon cr3 raw images from Canon R5. I've never noticed this happening before the last few days.

Screen shot shows the missing info.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: In comparison view right image not showing star rating panel
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2024, 03:35:35 PM »
I'm unable to reproduce the problem, and we're not sure why this would occur after an arbitrary amount of time. If you can't determine what specific action triggers this issue then we'll be happy to fix it, but we'll need to figure out how to reproduce it first.

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 06:51:56 AM »
I thought the important thing here is that the issue is fixed if I reboot PM. I thought the fact that PM runs the "deleting files" script on closing might be useful (which it doesn't always show). I have been mostly comparing, rating and deleting files from this and other folders. I've not put a stop watch on how long it takes to happen, or compared with a folder with few items. Or looked at the usage in Activity Monitor. What would be useful to know that might help track down what is causing this?

The images are on a 2 TB internal hard drive with over 500 GB free.

Suggestions?

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 08:31:10 AM »
I really don't know. I appreciate you providing what you know so far, but testing based on that info did not lead me to reproducing the issue. If there is an exact sequence of actions you can take to reproduce the problem that would be helpful, and you're welcome to screen share with someone on our support team to demonstrate the issue so we can make sure we are doing the exact same thing that you are doing. Otherwise we will keep an eye out for the issue during our regular testing and fix it if we find a way to reproduce the problem.

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 03:46:57 PM »
ahoward, I understand that you can't reproduce this and if you can't reproduce you can't fix. It happened to me again and I'm going to give you one more set of data. Maybe it will be helpful if it happens to someone else and they can give more info.

According to Activity Monitor it does not appear that PM is using undo amounts of resources or that the computer is being more than "normally" heavily taxed.

I believe I have the recommended Cache settings in my PM preferences. Please let me know if I should adjust them.

I had been using PM for a number of hours today, however, mostly for adding Metadata and only somewhat for comparing and deleting images. There were 400 images in the trash.

This time I noticed PM lagging when moving quickly between images, and that is when I looked to see if the rating in the right image comparison had disappeared again (which it had).

Best regards,
Ric Cohn

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
I have figured out a scenario where the rating disappears. I have not used cropping much, but lately I've been using it for test cropping to help in making selects. Most features aren't available while in crop preview (keyboard shortcut P), such as making ratings or seeing ratings on the Preview screen. I've just noticed that under certain circumstances the rating does not show for the NON-CROPPED image when the cropped image is not in "P" mode.

See my screen shot. You can see from the thumbnails that the image that is not showing the preview is not cropped, but the cropped image shows the preview as long as it is not in "P" mode.

I think this is not intended behavior.

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
However, cropping is not the whole story. Here again is an example where neither image is cropped. After quiting PM when I reopen it and select the same two images the rating is back.

Maybe my prior post will be helpful in tracking this down.