Author Topic: Real database backend as an option  (Read 723 times)

Offline MacUnix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Real database backend as an option
« on: June 10, 2023, 11:21:25 AM »
I use PM Plus from both my desktop and laptop and have to 'disconnect' or repair the catalogs each time I connect to them when switching my devices.
An option to select a MySQL or PostgreSQL database as backend would solve the multiple computer issue. I use a NAS with 10GB ethernet and a 10GB ethernet connection for my desktop and laptop and have no speed issues with PM Plus or CaptureOne.

NAS devices like Synology come with installable software like MySQL/MariaDB or Docker (which allows you to run various application servers with ease). I feel that customers who need concurrent access from multiple computers to their catalogs either have an IT person or know/hire an IT person to support their IT infrastructure and have the appropiate infrastructure in place or can afford to pay for it.

An option to select SQLite, MySQL/MariaDB, PostgreSQL on a per catalog basis can solve the concurrent use or multiple computer issue imho.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Real database backend as an option
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 10:38:15 AM »
Simply replacing the database engine with a multi-user one won't solve the problem you're trying to solve.

Sharing a catalog between two or more computers is not something that Photo Mechanic Plus was designed to do.

-Kirk

Offline MacUnix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Real database backend as an option
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 12:11:12 PM »
Sharing a catalog between two or more computers is not something that Photo Mechanic Plus was designed to do.

Clear, I will look for anther solution solution for my archive needs.
I will continue to use PM+, in its non-plus mode, for initial IPTC recording, hope a iPadOS version is on the drawing board.