Photo Mechanic > Support

PM 4.5.1 Not Seeing USB Attached DVD/CD Burner

(1/1)

FairfieldPhoto:
When I try to burn a disc, the "Burn Photos to Disc" dialog box doesn't recognize my Sony external DVD/CD burner.  This is when I am logged in as a non-administrator user.  When I log in with my Administrator account, everything works fine.

Windows XP Pro, PM 4.5.1.
-Mike

FVlcek:
Well, this is clearly not Photomechanic's problem. It's a normal issue in Windows XP, where non-admin users are restricted from direct access to hardware. All other burners won't work unless you log in as admin.

This is what you can do to fix this:

I cannot write discs unless I'm logged in as Admin

* While logged in as administrator go to Start -> Run -> gpedit.msc
    * Browse to Local Computer Policy, Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings, Local Policies, Security Options
    * Enable "Restrict CD-ROM access to locally logged-on user only".

This removes is the ability to use the CD-Rom as a Terminal Services client but allows any current user to write regardless of admin rights.

Note: If gpedit is not available (running XP Home for instance) and you are logged in with Admin permissions you may change the following value manually to achieve the same result.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"allocatecdroms"="1"

FairfieldPhoto:
Great!  Thank you.  I have been using XP Home in the past, but the new PC has XP Pro.  I haven't done much with group policies until now.

-Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version