Author Topic: Files relocated so catalog links need updating - How?  (Read 562 times)

Offline MgriffAus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Files relocated so catalog links need updating - How?
« on: July 21, 2023, 10:50:14 PM »
My 10 Tb external drive was failing. The backup drive had a duplicate of the data and images in folders.
1. The catalog is on an internal drive - they are OK
2. The replacement drive arrives and the folders placed there from the back up drive called Black 10Tb
3. The new drive is 16Tb. It has the same files and the same folders as the now dead drive had.
4. I cannot simply do - "Relocate the files" for this catalog. This is a serious and very important missing feature in PhotMechanic Plus
5. I now have thousands of images to re catalog.
6. It's not just a daunting task, it was a feature asked for ages ago!
7. I may be missing something but I can now only conclude that PhotoMechanic is seriously unsuited as a cataloguing program. It IS MISSING and ESSENTIAL part. Drives fail, that is why we do backups.
8. Camera Bits really does need to add this feature. {Restore location of catalog files}

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Files relocated so catalog links need updating - How?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2023, 05:16:21 PM »
The following procedure should get you up and running again without having to re-catalog your images:

1) Open the Catalog Management window (Catalog->Catalog Management) look in the Local Catalogs section and find your catalog.
2) Expand the options by clicking on the triangle that appears before the name of your catalog and click the Forget button.
4) Click the "Locate Existing Catalog..." button.  Use the filesystem dialog to find your catalog (you just need to choose the folder.)
5) Expand your catalog, then expand the Maintenance section and click the "Reintegrate Forgotten Catalog".

When it finishes, your catalog should again be functional.

HTH,

-Kirk