Author Topic: PM Color Class DXO compatible  (Read 806 times)

Offline leoprincipe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM Color Class DXO compatible
« on: September 18, 2023, 12:39:30 PM »
Hi, How can I make PM Color Class compatible with DXO Photolab 6?
I am looking for to display the same color in both apps.
Actually I am using a custom Color Class. I want to know if changing the color and the label to match with DXO I will lost the Color Class set in my pictures, or the pictures color class will automatically change to the new customization.
Sure, I want PM to syncronize with DXO.
My custom configuration of PM on the screenshot.
The DXO clor class is: None, Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Pink, Purple.

Thank you for helping, Leo

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: PM Color Class DXO compatible
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 03:51:57 PM »
Hi Leo, did you intend to post a screenshot with this post?

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2023, 04:48:01 PM »
Hi Leo,

I installed a trial of DxO Photo Lab 6 on my Monterey Mac and I was able to come up with a color label scheme for Photo Mechanic that will be recognized by DxO.  I tested this with Sony ARW's and JPG files without any issues. I am attaching a Photo Mechanic preference export file, PM_Import_DxO_Color-Labels.pmx.  Go to Photo Mechanic's Preferences and click the Import button at the bottom of any page. Locate the PM_Import_DxO_Color-Labels.pmx file and Open it. There will only be one item in the Import list.  Click the Import button to continue. A warning message might open next. If it does, just click the Yes button to complete the import. Now Photo Mechanic's General Preference page will have a new Snapshot entry called DxO PhotoLab.  Click this entry to switch the color labels to match the DxO labels.

If you have already opened the folder of images in DxO after you updated the color images in Photo Mechanic, then go to the DxO File menu -> Metadata -> Read from Image.  This will update the selected images on the DxO contact sheet and show the recent Photo Mechanic updates.

Best regards,

--Bob
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 06:52:43 PM by Bob Russell »

Offline leoprincipe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 03:48:48 AM »
Sorry, here is the screenshot of my custom color class...

Offline leoprincipe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2023, 07:35:33 AM »
Hi Bob, I followed your instructions, downloaded you file, activated in PM Color Class, read Metadata from image in DxO...
but the image dont updated.

I dont understand why your PM color list is different from the DxO color list.

DxO color list: None Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Pink Purple
Your PM color list: Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Pink Purple Rubbish

I tried a new PM Color Class that match with DxO... nothing.
I chanded settings in DxO in the metadata panel: Syncronize metadata with XMP sidecar files... nothing.

Anyway I prefer to avoid conflict: I never write metadata on DxO, all captions, keywords and other IPTC are set in PM.
I just need those metadata to appear in DxO.

Thank you very much for helping, Leo

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2023, 10:59:24 AM »
Hi Leo,

I tried your custom color labels in my copy of Photo Mechanic but DxO did not recognize any of them.  The Synchronize metadata box is unchecked. I am suspecting DxO has the same behavior as Lightroom and will only show their default color labels added by other applications. I have created a short video showing DxO reading the metadata from the files updated by Photo Mechanic. Photo Mechanic is using the DxO color label scheme from the preference import file I posted earlier. Here is the link to the video :
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/6qa8vmuh71uk9wi5uaupw/PM_Labels_to_DxO_PhotoLab6.mov?rlkey=y6rouqd0kwo1ojdif9vpuybtd&dl=0

Best regards,

--Bob

Offline leoprincipe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2023, 12:31:40 PM »
Hi Bob, I am on the field, I will try your way and send a feedback in a few days.
Friendly to chat with you,

Offline leoprincipe

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2023, 07:08:04 AM »
Hi Bob, I am back.
Yesterday I dowloaded a trial of the new PhotoLab7 and it works fine.
I dont understand why your PM Color Class dont matches with PL color, I created a new list in PM exacly like the PL one, it works well with all colors set in PM. The only problem is that PM has two None labels, one with no color and another gray, and PL dont recognize.
I stricly avoid to write anything from PL, just read. I dont know if it can create conflicts. What you think about that?
Two screenshots ilustrate the color class you sent to me and the one I adapted to match the colors of both apps.
Have a good weekend, Leo