Author Topic: Gathering sorting info slow when using sort by capture time (Mac)  (Read 490 times)

Offline kbuijte

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Gathering sorting info slow when using sort by capture time (Mac)
« on: September 20, 2023, 12:59:46 AM »
I switched from windows to Mac recently and I am shocked about the time PM takes to show an album when I use capture time to sort the photos. I´m still hoping it is just a settings issue but after some fiddling around I don't get the speed I am used too using my older Ryzen 5 gen2 PC. I have a Mac Studio M2 base model and a Mac Pro 14 M2 both have the same problem. Sorting by File name shows the photos instantly.

Offline kbuijte

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Gathering sorting info slow when using sort by capture time (Mac)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 01:17:13 AM »
more setting screenshots

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2023, 10:47:03 AM »
Generally the sorting speed is dependent on disk I/O. Where are the files stored when you experience this issue? If it is an external drive, what file system is it using and have you made sure that there isn't some hardware bottleneck (for example, make sure you aren't using a USB-C cable that is only capable of USB 2.0 Speeds)?

We'd also like to see the log file from both computers. You can access the log file by going to Help -> Reveal Support Data. The log file may contain file paths and file names, so if you would prefer to not post that publicly, please email it to support@camerabits.com

Offline kbuijte

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2023, 11:41:59 PM »
Thank you for the reply. It is stored externally on a Softraid read and write speed around 400 MB/s. I will send my log files.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2023, 03:17:59 PM »
Thank you for the reply. It is stored externally on a Softraid read and write speed around 400 MB/s. I will send my log files.

Do you have similar slow sort times when opening a contact sheet on your internal drive?