Author Topic: FTP Apple IOS 17 issue  (Read 2631 times)

Offline smudger86nz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
FTP Apple IOS 17 issue
« on: October 03, 2023, 02:13:08 AM »
I can't find a post here about this although there is online discussion. It appears FTP upload from PhotoMechanic has been disabled with the release of Apple IOS 17 possibly due to a port blockage. It's not working for me inc trying 17.02.  As per this post below from the Facebook PM user group. Im about to try and get the developer release of 17.1 which has been reported as fixing it otherwise a downgrade to IOS16 seems to be the only fix for now. While it seems to be an Apple IOS 17 issue Not a PM6 fault, I was wondering if Camerabits staff are aware of the problem and know of any other possible fix ?

WARNING - Apple iOS 17 will break using your iPhones Mobile Hotspot to connect to a camera or laptop via FTP (Port 21)
This is not a flaw of PhotoMechanic - but many here use this feature instead of a dedicated MiFi, etc.
This also breaks sending from camera directly.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255139410
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/255147919
If anyone such as Photo Mechanic developers have contacts at Apple or can file reports via their Developer accounts that might help. I've already reached out to some friends at Apple and they are trying to find out which teams to flag this to.
- Private Relay on/off does not fix.
- Downgrading back to iOS 16 appears to be an immediate fix.
- FTP from an iPhone based app still works
- SFTP appears to work but not FTPS (most news agencies are not configured as such however)

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: FTP Apple IOS 17 issue
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2023, 09:36:16 AM »
The only resolution we have heard of is to update to the 17.1 beta. Please report back if you try that and it works for you.

Offline Hans Martin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2023, 07:29:31 AM »
I just installed iOS 17.0.3 and this issue was not fixed unfortunately  :(

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2023, 07:53:59 AM »
I just installed iOS 17.0.3 and this issue was not fixed unfortunately  :(
I tested on 17.0.3 yesterday and it did not work, and then updated to the 17.1 beta and it started working, so hopefully the official release is coming soon.

Offline matttttttt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 01:43:45 AM »
Using a free VPN will work. Not having to use a VPN would be better but it's a good band-aid in the meantime.

Offline Hans Martin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 03:30:36 AM »
Using a free VPN will work. Not having to use a VPN would be better but it's a good band-aid in the meantime.
On which device needs the VPN to be installed? Which one would you recommend?

Offline samackin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 01:36:17 PM »
The only resolution we have heard of is to update to the 17.1 beta. Please report back if you try that and it works for you.

Ran into this problem as described and updated to 17.1.3 beta and support for uploading via FTP appears to work again. Make sure to back up your iphone before making the leap to beta. If you don't want to chance it, I saw from a youtuber, Zollotech, that Apple will like have a regular update that MAY address this issue. Good luck.

Offline tvizer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2023, 10:51:24 AM »
I just upgraded to iOS 17 a few weeks ago on my iPhone 12 Pro Max and FTP stopped working.

Just bought a new iPhone 15 Max Pro and set it up this morning.  It came with iOS 17.1.   It does NOT work either.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2023, 11:05:25 AM »
I just upgraded to iOS 17 a few weeks ago on my iPhone 12 Pro Max and FTP stopped working.

Just bought a new iPhone 15 Max Pro and set it up this morning.  It came with iOS 17.1.   It does NOT work either.
Does it work when using any other FTP Client? Who is your mobile service provider? What errors do you get?

Are you sure it's on 17.1 and not 17.0.1? 17.1 was released to the public yesterday, I'd be surprised if a phone that was set up today came with 17.1?