Author Topic: Exposure Compensation for underexposed/overexposed images  (Read 1170 times)

Offline samknutson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Exposure Compensation for underexposed/overexposed images
« on: October 12, 2023, 12:56:58 PM »
If you regularly underexpose culling in PM can be more difficult as everything is very dark.  It is not uncommon for some folks to want to underexpose by 1 or 2 stops to avoid blowing out detail.   A simple exposure compensation control in PM that lets you globally dial up/down while you are reviewing and previewing would be very useful!   I know these images are all very dark I am going to fix that later in Lightroom but now I didn't overexpose (the big white birds or other subject).  Just let me make it easy to see while I am doing culling know I will be fixing it later.  This is one of the reasons to shoot RAW to maximize detail captured and the ability to make adjustments later.

What do you think?

Thanks, Sam

Offline myotis

• View Profile
Re: Exposure Compensation for underexposed/overexposed images
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2023, 08:17:05 AM »
You will find this has been requested before, but it's important enough to refresh, and like again.

I either use ETTR, or expose to ensure good detail in the highlights and sacrifice shadow detail. So I often deliberately end up with very pale or very dark images that are impossible to properly assess without being able to compensate for image brightness.

I have Fast Raw viewer set up as my editor in PM so I can quickly flip into it to adjust exposure and rate, but it would be far more convenient and faster to do this inside PM

Offline Max Lemesh

• View Profile
Re: Exposure Compensation for underexposed/overexposed images
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2023, 03:20:08 AM »
I'm with myotis on this. Once you go into pixel peeping features you start to slow down the process. Fast Raw Viewer does that already, for those very rare cases when I want to pixel peep outside Capture One