Author Topic: PM6 - MacOS Sonoma - Main window closing issue  (Read 613 times)

Offline mistd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM6 - MacOS Sonoma - Main window closing issue
« on: November 05, 2023, 01:48:27 AM »
Hi there,
I'm currently running into an annoying issue:

Every time I close the only opened contact sheet (the last one remaining) , the main PM6 window closes and can't be opened from the Dock right away, I have to go in the Menu bar -> File -> New Window ... to open a new one ... every single time.

This really gets on my nerves because I have to pay attention and keep at least one contact sheet opened, even if I'm done working on it, to prevent the main window totally closing.

I'm not sure if this is MacOS Sonoma related, old bug or ... intended behavior.

Thanks !

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: PM6 - MacOS Sonoma - Main window closing issue
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 02:33:31 AM »
Make sure you have disabled the setting “Close contact sheet window when last tab is closed”. This setting can be found under Settings|Contact Sheet. See screenshot.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline mistd

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2023, 08:13:31 AM »
Thanks Halo Baan. That worked.
It seems anyway that PM6 needs at least 1 contact sheet open to function properly.

Now, I have one "Untitled" contact sheet opened and when I try to close it it's just multiplying the numbering "Untitled 1, Untitled 2 ... etc" without actually closing.

I also try to change the option "On Startup: Open empty contact sheet" to :"On Startup: Do nothing" .... and now, no windows gets opened on startup. When you manually open a new window on startup (File->New Window) ... the same "Untitled" contact sheet gets opened regardless of the setting.

So It seems that the main window it's "coupled" with this "untitled" contact sheet. Maybe a bug ....

Anyway, At least now it's not annoying and I can work with it  :)

Thank you !

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2023, 02:56:56 PM »
It seems anyway that PM6 needs at least 1 contact sheet open to function properly.

Each top level Contact Sheet window must have a Contact Sheet tab.  It's just how it works on macOS.  On Windows, the main frame window is capable of having no documents because that window represents the entire application and it can operate with no contact sheets and still offer a method to open new ones from the Favorites or Navigator.

Now, I have one "Untitled" contact sheet opened and when I try to close it it's just multiplying the numbering "Untitled 1, Untitled 2 ... etc" without actually closing.

They're closing, but in order to prevent the entire window from closing, a new one is created on your behalf.

I also try to change the option "On Startup: Open empty contact sheet" to :"On Startup: Do nothing" .... and now, no windows gets opened on startup. When you manually open a new window on startup (File->New Window) ... the same "Untitled" contact sheet gets opened regardless of the setting.

Expected on macOS because document windows must have a document, even if it is untitled.

So It seems that the main window it's "coupled" with this "untitled" contact sheet. Maybe a bug ....

Not a bug.  Is there some behavior you're wanting to achieve that is not currently offered?

-Kirk