Author Topic: Star ratings of CR3 files not syncing to Lightroom. DNG ratings sync normally.  (Read 795 times)

Offline googlephonics

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hello! Today I culled and rated images in a folder and then dragged and dropped to Lightroom. My normal procedure, but this time only the DNG files came with their star ratings, all the CR3 files are blank. I tried the "Read metadata from files" option and also nothing.

The files in the folder are from a Canon RP (the CR3 ones) and a Ricoh GR (the DNG+JPG ones); the last time I shot with the Canon was at the end of September. All went normal then, but I have updated PM twice (I think) since then. Maybe an update is to blame? My settings have not changed and are the ones for Adobe apps (lighting bolt button, see screenshot).

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Thanks in advance for any help!

Al

Offline MNeipris

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Lightroom Classic and Adobe Photoshop Lightroom should both be able to read star ratings in XMP sidecar files for CR3 files.

You can open XMP sidecar files in a text editor such as TextEdit or Notepad to view the metadata.

Look for:
<Rating="star rating number here">

Are the CR3 and XMP files located on a case-sensitive file system?

Lightroom seems to only use lowercase file extensions, while Photo Mechanic defaults to uppercase extensions.

If they are, you can change what case Photo Mechanic uses for file extensions by navigating to Preferences-->Files.

In the "File extensions" dropdown, choose "Use lowercase extension (.jpeg, .tiff, etc.)" then select the OK button to save changes.

Note: this will only affect newly created files.

If you select all of the existing XMP sidecar files in a folder in Finder, you can Rename them and use the "Replace Text" dropdown menu option in the "Rename Finder Items:" window.

Find: .XMP
Replace: .xmp

Offline Max Lemesh

• View Profile
I was recently troubleshooting  a case with a friend where she would cull images on an SSD, rate them and give it away to editor and later find out that not all of her ratings were saved. She would miss almost half of her selections (443 vs 706). She even had a screenshot of those selects filtered in PM. And it was so random, so I advised her to start saving a selection to txt file as backup option

Offline MNeipris

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
For anyone that visits this thread later, the resolution to googlephonics issue was to have Photo Mechanic use lowercase file extensions in Preferences-->Files because the files were on a case-sensitive file system.

Offline MNeipris

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I was recently troubleshooting  a case with a friend where she would cull images on an SSD, rate them and give it away to editor and later find out that not all of her ratings were saved. She would miss almost half of her selections (443 vs 706). She even had a screenshot of those selects filtered in PM. And it was so random, so I advised her to start saving a selection to txt file as backup option

Max Lemesh, if your friend continues to experience this behavior, we can schedule a screen-sharing session with her to look into the behavior.

To get that process started, she can either send an email to support@camerabits.com or call our support phone 1-503-547-2888, Monday-Friday, 9AM-4PM Pacific Time.

Generally speaking, when an image is rated in Photo Mechanic and the star rating, color class, or tag state is visible in the contact sheet or Preview window, then the related metadata is saved either in an XMP sidecar file or embedded into the file itself.

An XMP sidecar file can be opened in a text editing program to confirm that Photo Mechanic wrote the related metadata.

For star ratings:
<xmp:Rating="Star Rating number here">

For color class:
<xmp:Label="Color Class Label name Here">

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Hi Max and Al,

I was able to recreate this issue on my Monterey iMac with Lightroom Classic, using some sample RP CR3 files. For reasons unknown at this time, Lightroom will not read the star ratings if the modification time of the CR3 file is more recent than that of the XMP sidecar file. Fixing the modification time of the XMP sidecar file to be the same or more recent than the CR3 file and then Reading the Metadata from file in LR does not fix the problem. I had to remove the problem files from Lightroom's catalog and then re-import them. Now LR would show the correct star ratings, color labels and other metadata.   I used Photo Mechanic to batch update one of the IPTC fields to fix any of the files with out-of-sync modify times.  I am curious as to how the CR3 files were modified without updating the matching XMP sidecar file. Do you know what app(s) were using in the Editing process?

Best regards,

--Bob