Author Topic: Phot Mechanic 6 Plus and On1 Photo Raw - show star ratings in both programs  (Read 317 times)

Offline taz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
When I give a jpeg file a star rating in Photo Mechanic I can't get On1 to see the rating.  However, if I rate the same file in On1 the change shows immediately in Photo Mechanic (as soon as I tell On1 to embed metadata after assigning the star rating).  Whatever the answer is to this problem, I assume it would be the same for color labels. What basic thing am I missing?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
When I give a jpeg file a star rating in Photo Mechanic I can't get On1 to see the rating.  However, if I rate the same file in On1 the change shows immediately in Photo Mechanic (as soon as I tell On1 to embed metadata after assigning the star rating).  Whatever the answer is to this problem, I assume it would be the same for color labels. What basic thing am I missing?

You'll need to get On1 to read the metadata from the images/sidecar XMP files after PM updates them.  It sounds line On1 is relying on its own cached metadata (in a database?) instead of checking the files for updates.

-Kirk

Offline taz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I have told On1 Photo Raw to "Read Metadata from Photo" but this does not do the trick.  Is there anything I should be doing in PM to make sure the metadata is really embedded?

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
I have told On1 Photo Raw to "Read Metadata from Photo" but this does not do the trick.  Is there anything I should be doing in PM to make sure the metadata is really embedded?
If you're not getting an error when setting the color class in Photo Mechanic, then it's embedding the metadata (since you said it's a JPEG). There's ways you could doublecheck this (exiftool, for example, or just send us a file), but ultimately I would guess that there is some way to force On1 to re-read the metadata in your file after the file has been modified. Whether that can be done automatically (like Photo Mechanic is doing) or you have to manually trigger it, I cannot say, as I've never used the program and all of the previous threads on this issue seem to be people who had trouble going the other direction (they weren't seeing changes made by ON1 in Photo Mechanic).  I'd probably recommend sending a file that you've rated in Photo Mechanic to ON1's support and ask them what you need to do to get their software to read metadata that has been changed by another piece of software.

Color labels can be slightly more complicated, the set of labels has to match in both programs. Once you figure how to get their software to read your files' metadata after Photo Mechanic updates it, I would see if that allows both programs to see the color labels the other software changed, and if not then we can see what settings might need to be changed in Photo Mechanic.