Author Topic: Using IPTC Keywords Panel  (Read 387 times)

Offline dbvirago

• View Profile
Using IPTC Keywords Panel
« on: November 11, 2023, 11:10:55 AM »
I have used structured keywords almost exclusively, but I thought using the Edit Keywords function would be useful for certain sets of commonly used keywords. I understand the panel on the left will contain the current keywords in the image. Let's say I want to create a set containing those keywords. So, I click on the lightning, click Save, give the set a name. Now in the future, I can click on the Lightning and select that list to populate the panel with those keywords.

I could also highlight all the keywords, click on the left arrow to copy them to the Master panel and do the same thing. Now under both Snapshots, I have the same list of keywords under the same name.

My question is, when would you do one vs the other? It appears the functionality is identical except for how the list gets initially populated.

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Using IPTC Keywords Panel
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2023, 08:05:48 PM »
I have used structured keywords almost exclusively, but I thought using the Edit Keywords function would be useful for certain sets of commonly used keywords. I understand the panel on the left will contain the current keywords in the image. Let's say I want to create a set containing those keywords. So, I click on the lightning, click Save, give the set a name. Now in the future, I can click on the Lightning and select that list to populate the panel with those keywords.

I could also highlight all the keywords, click on the left arrow to copy them to the Master panel and do the same thing. Now under both Snapshots, I have the same list of keywords under the same name.

My question is, when would you do one vs the other? It appears the functionality is identical except for how the list gets initially populated.

The Master List is the list of all keywords that you might want to apply to any images.  The current keywords generally aren't the set of keywords that you might want to pick and choose from for any image you're keywording.

But you can do whatever you like with either list.

-Kirk