Author Topic: Subscription Model  (Read 13005 times)

Offline Stuwhitt

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Subscription Model
« on: November 13, 2023, 01:44:24 PM »
I don't have a problem with PM moving to a subscription model, I get Camera Bits need the revenue to continue development. I would like more details about pricing and whether current licence holders will receive a discount though.

That said, May 2024 is far too soon to sunset support for PM6, especially with the black Friday promotion. I wouldn't be dropping a significant sum of money on a product that won't be receiving any updates. Post-May 2024, at the very least, PM6 should receive bug fixes, security updates and OS support for at least 12-18 months.

Offline bradg

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Subscription Model
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2023, 02:55:39 PM »
It will be interesting to see what the subscription rate is and how it compares to the stand alone cost spread across the 3-5 years the current versions have been available (I think PM6 was early 2019 and PM6P was fall 2020). A new license for PM6 now is $170. Spreading that out over the 5 years since it was released means we paid about $35 a year. I'm guessing the new subscription rate will be higher than that, which is fine as long as we're getting feature updates (beyond bug fixes) throughout the year. The blog says "new features in a timely manner" … hopefully their sense of timely matches the expectations of the users based on the subscription price.

Offline Joel Goodman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2023, 03:55:58 PM »
Oh god, not another one :(

Offline treyneal

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2023, 06:40:23 PM »
Generally speaking I suppose I understand why the subscription model is the way software companies are moving - relatively predictable cash flow that theoretically allows for more frequent updates and newer features more quickly. That said, part of what has kept me a user of PM+ is that it was a perpetual license and that really kept me “sticky” on the platform. Sure I looked around for different software from time to time and tried a few but nothing motivated me to shift workflow from PM to an alternative. With the introduction of a subscription model and the elimination of perpetual for long time users I will be taking a different approach to alternative software solutions since I will be renting in perpetuity going forward. One of the competitive advantages that PM+ had for me was the perpetual license. My degree of “stickiness” will be driven partly by rental cost now where it never entered the equation before.

Offline bwana

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2023, 07:46:20 PM »
As operating systems, macOS and Windows, have accelerated their releases

They have? Apple has released major upgrades to MacOS annually, in June, for over 20 years and Microsoft even less frequently. I haven't seen any indication of Apple changing their release cycle. I'm understanding now why PM still relies on Rosetta and why there have been few other advancements.

I've moved away from every bit of software that switched to subscriptions.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 11:31:19 PM by bwana »

Offline bjornh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2023, 11:30:10 PM »
As a long time hobby user I'm not happy at all. I was looking forward to a new (payed) upgrade that would finally be native Apple silicon but now I will instead star looking for alternatives.

I can understand the business aspect of this but as an end user I really really want to limit the amount of subscriptions - it tends to add up to quite a lot of money in the end.

Offline jgrove

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2023, 12:26:44 AM »
Does this mean we will finally see a universal version of PM and PM Plus? The announcement of a subscription model seems to indicate a new version is due. But without any indication of pricing it’s impossible to make any decision. Alas for me it’s likely an exist from using PM as I only use it now for captioning and culling.

Offline DanY

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2023, 02:34:11 AM »
Instead of a subscription model, I would have much rather CameraBits move to a "yearly upgrade" model. Its as close to being a subscription without being one. Example is DxO PhotoLab. They have annual new version releases but still support the last year's version with bug fixes and even new camera profiles for instance. I'm giving CameraBits two thumbs down for this.

In a subscription model, once you stop paying the monthly fees your can't use your software. With Dxo's model, you can for as long as you want. You just don't get updates. Did I say two thumbs down for Camerabits?

Offline DanY

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2023, 02:38:40 AM »
I don't have a problem with PM moving to a subscription model, I get Camera Bits need the revenue to continue development. I would like more details about pricing and whether current licence holders will receive a discount though.

That said, May 2024 is far too soon to sunset support for PM6, especially with the black Friday promotion. I wouldn't be dropping a significant sum of money on a product that won't be receiving any updates. Post-May 2024, at the very least, PM6 should receive bug fixes, security updates and OS support for at least 12-18 months.

I agree. I found out about this change via their promo email. It said that now is the best time to pick up a license before they change the model. Then I find out on their website support ends in May of 2024. Booooo!!  I'm not taking this bait.

Offline PeterM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2023, 03:05:00 AM »
I hope CameraBits realizes, as I am sure they do, that adding software developers (which is presumably what they plan to do with the increased revenue), isn't necessarily linearly correlated with improvements in function.

Offline Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2023, 03:16:08 AM »
The new license model is currently speculation, so I will wait and see what I decide in the future. After May 2024, PM6 will continue to run.

Offline bwana

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2023, 04:21:53 AM »
The new license model is currently speculation, so I will wait and see what I decide in the future. After May 2024, PM6 will continue to run.

It's not speculation

What is changing?

Camera Bits will soon be transitioning away from selling Photo Mechanic as a perpetual license and moving to a subscription model.

https://home.camerabits.com/2023/11/12/changes-coming-to-photo-mechanic/

Offline Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2023, 04:27:40 AM »
But it is speculation how the license model will be implemented. There are currently no prices, no information on what happens if you no longer want an ABO. What will happen to the software then, will you no longer be able to use it or will there simply be no more updates.

Offline bwana

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2023, 04:29:22 AM »
But it is speculation how the license model will be implemented. There are currently no prices, no information on what happens if you no longer want an ABO. What will happen to the software then, will you no longer be able to use it or will there simply be no more updates.

Do you have examples of subscription model software that lets you continue to use the software once to stop paying?

Offline Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2023, 04:39:35 AM »
Yes, Topaz AI for example