Author Topic: Subscription Model  (Read 12988 times)

Offline Max Lemesh

• View Profile
Re: Subscription Model
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2023, 11:38:24 AM »
If only this subscription based announcement was more like...

Here is amazing PM7 with all the features you requested, native to Apple Silicon and here a roadmap of features... but it will be subscription based.

I'm sure most would've welcomed it.

Offline jgrove

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2023, 01:40:40 PM »

Here is amazing PM7 with all the features you requested, native to Apple Silicon and here a roadmap of features... but it will be subscription based.

Yup, and that's the problem, PM is miles behind on its universal shift, almost to the point of being last. No public road map either, and now the subscription bombshell, with no other comms from Camera Bits.

Offline msturk

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2023, 02:25:48 PM »
Photo Mechanic is simply essential for my workflow for 25 years or more. Code replacement, FTP, batch captioning, variables, moving files etc. to the point that I can't imagine life without it. And it's always been there for support when needed.

Offline Max Lemesh

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2023, 03:58:17 AM »
Also, if going with subscription is inevitable having an early adopter, or current licence holder, or both, discount would help us transition to new reality

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2023, 08:50:16 AM »
I certainly am not a fan of the switch to a subscription model.  But that said, I sure would like the ability to down vote some of the comments in this thread.

Offline carlseibert

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2023, 09:18:33 AM »
Kevin - You make two points that I think bear repeating and serious consideration:

1: Photo Mechanic is a professional tool.

2. It's under-priced.

Offline jjohnson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2023, 10:31:06 AM »
The subscription model has me less than thrilled. I try to keep my expenses pretty tight, and the constant ballooning of subscription models everywhere is giving me pause and really making me consider where my money is going. Not only is it a recurring expense, but it also effectively locks me into a vendor and all the consequences there-in.

With recurring expenses, especially for tools I rely on or expect to rely on, knowing what their road map looks like and what they're like as a company is hugely important to me. For instance, Google's infamous killing of apps every few years, or Adobe's constant push to squeeze more money out of artists while delivering features that provide little value to many working professionals.

I probably would have received the news better if the change came with a road map. From what I can tell, there isn't a clear product road map or vision. Judging from chatter on the forums (unfairly) the road map looks to be "what do you want, customer?" - and the few customers who do participate are all over the map in feature requests.

I don't envy the position you're in, and certainly believe this was a difficult conclusion to arrive at. However, this customer will be spending the next several months looking for solutions that don't require yet another subscription model even if that means giving up features.

Offline bjornh

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2023, 10:11:21 PM »
I think the communication was really poor. An email with an offer - last chance to buy a perpetual license before we are going to lock you into a subscription model.

I agree that Photo Mechanic is a tool for professionals and I use a very limited subset of the functionality (really mostly for sorting/culling photos) but it has been good to have since it has a lot of tools if needed and I have been a user since 2008.

The conclusion is that I'm currently looking for an alternative for my needs.

Offline fgphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2023, 08:23:56 AM »
I have no real issue with the subscription model. Adobe does it and that is fine with me... (if anyone remembers Adobe and their .5 Photoshop upgrades that served no purpose other than to fix a bug that was in the last major release and ding you $199 to boot... I'm sure you understand.)

Capture One has also gone to a subscription model that actually costs less if you are using their shared editing galleries, iOS app, etc.

But with the subscription model, both Adobe and C1 have sped up bug fixes, and new feature releases so that, at least for me, I feel like there is real value in being a subscriber.

So hopefully with this CameraBits will release an Apple Silicon Native version with other new innovative features that make it seem like a good value to subscribe.

I have been using PhotoMechanic since the 90's and it is a major part of my workflow, but the issues with running in Rosetta on the new Macs have created slowdowns and other bugs that now nearly two years in have still not been fixed concerns me, because I have no real desire to pay a subscription fee for something that isn't being modernized.

Offline kim

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2023, 08:45:07 AM »
If Camera Bits thinks it's the best way they can maintain and further develop PM, that's fine with me. It has been a great help to me over many years.
Kim Agersten

Offline TomM1

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • tommurrayartist.com
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2023, 01:07:50 PM »
So sad.
Mac mini (2018) 3.2 GHz Intel Core i7 64 GB, eGPU Radeon Pro 580 8 GB, LG 4K display, Canon 6DII, macOS Monterey

Offline krakouer

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2023, 04:07:08 PM »
The beauty of free market will dictate wether this will work or not. I'm on board if modern features and modern code is brought over to this program, especially the DAM side of things which is ok but does lack with PM6+.
Would rather have seen a perpetual licence with upgrade fees which would be motivation to add new features for the customer to want to buy, but oh well.

Another cost of living to factor in  ;D

Offline rhomberg

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Matthias Rhomberg . fotograf . photographer
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2023, 07:12:42 AM »

Yup, and that's the problem, PM is miles behind on its universal shift, almost to the point of being last. No public road map either, and now the subscription bombshell, with no other comms from Camera Bits.

100% agree. PM is barely keeping up with at least maintaining it's once glory speed and handling from when it was 32bit only. Even Bridge has caught up and has become actually faster than PM in some ways.

PM looks and feels very, very dated and the most mayor changes in the last years were shuffling UI items around for no reason to break muscle memory I guess. But it still is an absolutely integral part of our workflow. So I fear that this will be a cash grab at surely a minimum of 10$ a month. I'd love to be proven wrong, but actually do fear it might be even worse than that.

I do need and want literally zero new features, PM does everything it needs to do already. Just bring the code up to date please.

Offline jrp

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2023, 12:50:02 PM »
As others have said, I am disappointed that PM6 is not yet native for apple silicon.  I suspect that they use legacy libraries from 3rd parties that mean that they can't just recompile with the right flags.

In the end, I think that they will keep people that benefit from the variable macros feature that makes it easier to label / annotate photos manually, but for those that don't particularly need do that, AI based solutions will be adequate and less labour-intensive.

Offline CampanellaFoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2023, 03:59:03 AM »

This is exactly how I felt reading the news of a switch to a subscription model.