Author Topic: Code Replacements from website  (Read 578 times)

Offline Joseph S

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Code Replacements from website
« on: November 30, 2023, 11:11:27 AM »
Hey folks!

I used code replacements at my last job for Big 10 and pro sports and it was absolutely invaluable, but the newspaper I work at now is a little smaller and the local collegiate teams are NAIA and not listed on the coderepalcements.com website.

So I've been building my own code replacements by hand, but it's a bit of an arduous process especially for football and I'm trying to find a faster way to turn a website/picture into a code replacements.

Is there a way to make a script/code that you can plug a website into and it'll generate a code replacements from that data?

Offline Max Lemesh

• View Profile
Re: Code Replacements from website
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2023, 04:34:03 PM »
I feel like you are asking a bit too much — someone coming up with a super automated way of doing a very specific sport photography only related task.
Your best bet would be getting familiar with excel or google sheets and use whatever data you have to build your own CR.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2023, 05:48:14 PM »
Hey folks!

I used code replacements at my last job for Big 10 and pro sports and it was absolutely invaluable, but the newspaper I work at now is a little smaller and the local collegiate teams are NAIA and not listed on the coderepalcements.com website.

So I've been building my own code replacements by hand, but it's a bit of an arduous process especially for football and I'm trying to find a faster way to turn a website/picture into a code replacements.

Is there a way to make a script/code that you can plug a website into and it'll generate a code replacements from that data?
It would probably be possible to make a script, and since there are probably a few common backends for those roster pages (one example that I'm aware of is Sidearm), its possible that a single script would work on a pages for a variety of different teams, but its also possible you'd have to tweak it for a given team's page, and you'd probably spend as much time on that as you would just copying and pasting from the roster page anyway. I did a few searches for chrome extension that I thought could be helpful here but didn't turn up anything, but maybe you'll find something I couldn't!

Offline Max Lemesh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 01:51:58 AM »
It is definitely possible, but it would take some time to figure out how to parse the pages for data and come up with the result you are after.
And you would most likely come up with a Code Replacement file manually while doing this before figuring out how to automate it.

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2023, 03:09:04 PM »
CodeReplacements.com has a feature where you can copy/paste in data and it will convert it.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/