Author Topic: Disappointed by the lack of a useful online manual  (Read 540 times)

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
Disappointed by the lack of a useful online manual
« on: March 02, 2024, 11:32:53 AM »
I am becoming quite disappointed and disillusioned by the poor online manual available.  I guess my disappointment is largely routed in the fact that you used to have an excellent manual -- back in the days of Pm4 and 5.  But that manual has been replaced.  Now I grant that the new design is much cleaner and prettier.  But it has been dumbed down to the extent that, in my view, it largely useless (not quite; I've learned stuff about PM+ from it).  I know that if something comes up that requires me to consult the manual, I'm just wasting my time.  I'm sure in many cases the attitude is: "Oh, that's so obvious we don't need to explain that".  But let me assure that's often not the case and you do need to explain it.

My previous frustration was with the keyword panel, which I posted about already; today it was the text exporter.  All I wanted to do was to save a comma separated list of the file names of selected images.  So I used the text exporter  and in the middle panel I entered "{filename}, " in the middle panel (without the quotes).  I checked the 2 check boxes -- "Replace carriage Returns Line Feeds with Single Space (Excel friendly)", and "Make text code Replacement friendly" and I exported to a file.  Well I got my list but every entry was separated by a carriage return.  Where did that come from given that both those boxes were checked?  Well the most likely explanation is that I don't understand the meaning of those two check boxes.  So I attempted to look it up in the manual and of course there is nothing there.  So what gives? And how can I accomplish what I want to accomplish?

Offline Max Lemesh

• View Profile
Re: Disappointed by the lack of a useful online manual
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 03:33:20 PM »
In my practice 90% of people I know who are using PM are only using it to cull images, just basic ratings and off to Lightroom. Not using ingest, metadata or variables, and far from event knowing that code replacements exist.

I too remember the old manual which I used to learn PM back in the day.

Offline AndyBell

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Andy Bell Photography
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 02:05:10 AM »
Just using PM for culling etc seems a very expensive option - I'd use Fast Raw Viewer for that.

I agree that the lack of a comprehensive manual is frustrating. I'm trying to Use PM (Pro) for my DAM solution and finding how to do some tasks is not that easy. Once I've worked it out, it usually is great at it - it's just finding how to do it that is hard.

Its meta data handling is the main reason I use it - reverse geocoding, model and property releases, locations and sub-locations, and so forth make PM worth it for me.

Andy

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2024, 10:50:21 AM »
First, to address the functionality in question:
The main text field in the Text Exporter (i.e. the one that is not "Header text" or "Footer text", executes once per selected Contact Sheet item, and it will *always* move to a new line for each Contact Sheet item.

The "Replace carriage Returns & Line Feeds with Single Space (Excel friendly)" checkbox refers to how it formats the input for output, not the formatting of the output itself. For example, if I am exporting the captions of the images into a text file using the text exporter, with "{caption}" in the main field, and I had an image with the caption:

This is a two
line caption

The result from the export with that box checked would be:

"This is a two line caption".

Given that the text exporter doesn't currently do what you want it to do, I would recommend opening the file that Photo Mechanic created in some spreadsheet software, and then you can rotate the column into a row and then export that as a text file. (There's probably other ways to do this in just a text editor, but that's the first thing I came up with)

I guess my disappointment is largely routed in the fact that you used to have an excellent manual -- back in the days of Pm4 and 5.  But that manual has been replaced.  Now I grant that the new design is much cleaner and prettier.  But it has been dumbed down to the extent that, in my view, it largely useless .....
The manual Photo Mechanic v5 documentation/wiki still exists at https://wiki.camerabits.com, but as it turns out, that manual also doesn't come close to answering your question. So it's not a case of formatting or attempting to dumb it down from the old version. It's simply an omission that we didn't realize was omitted. Now that we know that it was omitted, we can work to improve it.

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2024, 11:55:33 AM »
Thank you for your response.  I apologize for a somewhat ill tempered initial post.

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2024, 12:51:10 PM »
Unfortunately the link wiki.camerabits.com redirects to home.camerabits.com

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2024, 12:52:13 PM »
Unfortunately the link wiki.camerabits.com redirects to home.camerabits.com

Sorry, I typed it from memory instead of just copying and pasting it. This should work: http://wiki.camerabits.com/en/index.php?title=Main_Page

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2024, 02:21:07 PM »
That works.  Thank you.