Author Topic: Root directory resets every time I open Photomechanic  (Read 331 times)

Offline Philip James

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Root directory resets every time I open Photomechanic
« on: March 12, 2024, 02:31:15 PM »
Hi guys,

Since updating to 'build 7102' the root directory resets itself every time. So now when I open up the app searching for my desktop, I have to navigate to it each time which is quite time consuming and annoying. I've attached screen shots to explain what I am on about. The first image is the root and the second is folders opened up. In the previous build it would revert back to where I left it.

I've looked through all the settings and tried everything. If you could help me I'd be very grateful!

Many thanks,

Phil.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Root directory resets every time I open Photomechanic
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 03:35:41 PM »
I tested an older build, and as far as I can tell, Photo Mechanic never remembered which directories were expanded once the window was closed. What has changed in the most recent builds (7086 and 7102) is that we are building Photo Mechanic on a newer version of MacOS, and newer versions of Apple's tools for building software. These newer versions of Apple's tools removed the ability for programs to get the Finder sidebar Favorites items, which is how Photo Mechanic was previously able to display things like "Desktop" and "Downloads". I'd recommend adding those important folders to your Favorites, as shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoLolctbss4

Offline Philip James

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2024, 03:58:30 PM »
That is exactly what I was looking for!! Thank you so much for your help :)

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 10:19:48 AM »
That is exactly what I was looking for!! Thank you so much for your help :)

Glad that was helpful, and hopefully it resolves the core issue, though I was incorrect in my previous post to say that it would never remember which folders were expanded in the Navigator/Favorites. In order for that to work, you need to have "Restore Contact Sheets from last session" enabled in Preferences -> General -> On Startup (although we found a bug yesterday where this might not work in all cases). That said, the thing I mentioned about the Navigator/Favorites panel is still accurate.