Author Topic: Preventing live injest card injest duplicates  (Read 524 times)

Offline bwana

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Preventing live injest card injest duplicates
« on: March 22, 2024, 02:32:10 AM »
How do I get PM to recognise that the images on my card are the same ones the ones already live injested and not import them, again?

EDIT: to confirm Incremental Ingest: copy new photos only is already ticked/checked

Offline Roger Vikstrom

• freelance photographer from Stockholm Sweden
    • View Profile
    • RVBILD
Re: Preventing live injest card injest duplicates
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 02:35:11 AM »
see image

Offline bwana

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 02:36:15 AM »
see image
Thanks - I should have mentioned that is already ticked. I've edited the OP.

Offline Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 03:28:13 AM »
I use a different folder for Live Ingest and after ingesting the card I simple copy the content of live ingest folder into the folder of the card.

Offline bwana

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 03:35:38 AM »
I use a different folder for Live Ingest and after ingesting the card I simple copy the content of live ingest folder into the folder of the card.
And PM then picks up the duplicates?

The problem for me arises when I've shot 3-4k and have to wait for them to all injest, essentially for a second time, before I can get to the ones that I shot without being tethered.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2024, 08:45:37 AM »
Did your time zone change since you took the already ingested photos?  If so, that's likely the problem.  When PM scans for files, the file system will report a different modification time for the files after the time zone/daylight savings time changes.

-Kirk

Offline bwana

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2024, 08:50:18 AM »
Did your time zone change since you took the already ingested photos?  If so, that's likely the problem.  When PM scans for files, the file system will report a different modification time for the files after the time zone/daylight savings time changes.

-Kirk
No, same time zone. I often have to injest from the card immediately after live ingestation ends from the same location.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2024, 08:54:43 AM »

No, same time zone. I often have to injest from the card immediately after live ingestation ends from the same location.

Did daylight savings time affect you?

-Kirk

Offline bwana

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2024, 08:57:33 AM »

Did daylight savings time affect you?

-Kirk
No.

If I skip the live injest tethering PM ignores the duplicates.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2024, 10:21:16 AM »

Incremental ingest requires that a file be created on the source disk and the local computer. These two files allow Photo Mechanic to know that a specific file was copied from a specific memory card during a previous ingest, and that it shouldn't Ingest it again. When you transfer images to the Live Ingest source folder, Photo Mechanic has no idea where they came from: they're essentially just files that arbitrarily appear in the source folder.

Do you use the "Protect" function in your camera? Perhaps you could lock the images before you transfer via your tethering setup (or even have it just transfer those images as soon as you protect them? Not sure if cameras let you do that) and then when you go to Ingest the card later, simply only Ingest the unlocked files.

Offline bwana

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2024, 10:29:32 AM »

Incremental ingest requires that a file be created on the source disk and the local computer. These two files allow Photo Mechanic to know that a specific file was copied from a specific memory card during a previous ingest, and that it shouldn't Ingest it again. When you transfer images to the Live Ingest source folder, Photo Mechanic has no idea where they came from: they're essentially just files that arbitrarily appear in the source folder.

Do you use the "Protect" function in your camera? Perhaps you could lock the images before you transfer via your tethering setup (or even have it just transfer those images as soon as you protect them? Not sure if cameras let you do that) and then when you go to Ingest the card later, simply only Ingest the unlocked files.
PM really can't tell that one file is identical to another file?

Unfortunately I don't have the time to transfer one image at a time, everything would grind to a halt.

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2024, 06:25:04 PM »

No, it doesn't currently do that, I would absolutely have let you know if it did.

However, as a result of this thread, we've discussed a bit how we could improve this process for workflows that utilize tethering to transmit the images initially and then go on to Ingest the memory card later to avoid duplicates. So hopefully we will have something for you on this in a future build of Photo Mechanic.

Offline bwana

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2024, 11:16:31 PM »

No, it doesn't currently do that, I would absolutely have let you know if it did.

However, as a result of this thread, we've discussed a bit how we could improve this process for workflows that utilize tethering to transmit the images initially and then go on to Ingest the memory card later to avoid duplicates. So hopefully we will have something for you on this in a future build of Photo Mechanic.
Many thanks for the positive feedback.