Author Topic: Embedding Metadata in RAW Fuji .RAF Files (from GFX 100 series)  (Read 1044 times)

Offline hankodank

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 7102 (796dd4a)

Hello, I am part of a large team of professional photographers that utilizes Photo Mechanic in our workflow — specifically for ingesting and embedding our bespoke metadata info and templates into our cameras' RAW files. This is done because our internal distribution server does not play well with sidecar XMP files. This process works well for our Sony (ARW) and Nikon (NEF) files, but we have introduced a Fuji GFX 100S camera for studio portraiture work.

I have been assigned to create a tangential workflow that incorporates the Fuji .RAF files into our existing PhotoMechanic workflow (i.e., embedding and loading metadata into RAWs). But when I get to the stage of ingesting and embedding metadata into the Fuji files, I cannot ingest the Fuji .RAF files WITHOUT creating sidecar files.

I found this thread on this forum from 2019: https://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=11959.0;prev_next=prev#new  The thread ends with a cliff-hanger in which there is a potential coding solution, but I cannot find any resolution to it. This seems to be a uniquely Fuji file issue, but I do not know.

Is there anyone who could follow-up with me re: this issue? Your time would be appreciated.

Ryan

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Embedding Metadata in RAW Fuji .RAF Files (from GFX 100 series)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 09:14:49 AM »
Here is a more updated thread where we looked into this and found that it wasn't going to be possible: https://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=13047.15

Essentially, the format differs greatly from most other types of raw files where we can embed metadata.

Offline hankodank

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Embedding Metadata in RAW Fuji .RAF Files (from GFX 100 series)
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024, 05:45:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply. - Ryan.