Author Topic: How to save IPTC Metadata template field lists  (Read 963 times)

Offline C-F

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How to save IPTC Metadata template field lists
« on: April 02, 2024, 03:02:04 PM »
Hi,

I am on a MacBook Air M2 and Mac mini M1 OS Sonoma 14.4.1.

I can save snapshots, Keyword lists, and Client/User Data to my local Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotMechanic folder (subfolder(s)).
However, when it comes to save any other field on the template it will not let me access above folder in the library; same for structured Keyword list.
Instead when I pick Library as save location it goes to the global root Library(of course no write permission there) rather than my /user/xxx/local Library where the com.camerabits folder resides.
I deleted and reinstalled PM6+ subscription twice on each above mentioned machines to no avail (using cleanmymac app to include deletion of all support files?!?).

My question is this by design or what am I doing wrong or missing?
It means that backing up my personal 'saves' involves 2 (or more) distinct locations which is easy to overlook (forget)...

ps, my first try to save the structured Keyord list ended up in the applications folder, lol.

Thanks for your time and any help!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How to save IPTC Metadata template field lists
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 04:07:48 PM »
Make sure you've given the new application Full Disk Access.  See: https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48001152686-unable-to-ingest-or-access-folders-in-navigator

We use the All-in-One app and PM6 interchangeably all the time without any problems.

-Kirk

Offline C-F

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2024, 06:01:27 PM »
I double checked and it is enabled - attached image but when I open the save page it doesn't show the local library...
I does not open the users (Gabriela) subfolders much less the Library...

Offline C-F

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2024, 06:42:28 PM »
examples
save snapshot and import Country list

Offline C-F

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2024, 06:43:35 PM »
part 2 upload

Offline C-F

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2024, 06:50:44 PM »
Finder screen outside PM6

Offline C-F

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2024, 07:43:00 PM »
Well,
I don't know what happened and why but the path to the com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic is now available in my setup?!?

Before the flyout on the location would not let me navigate there - now it is working!

Sorry for any confusion I might have caused but for now ,- case (resolved) and closed.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2024, 09:27:15 AM »
If you don't mind my asking, why do you want to save files into the Photo Mechanic preferences folder?  Why not just save your files in your Documents folder or some other folder that is not usually hidden (your Library folder is hidden by the OS by default.)

-Kirk

Offline C-F

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2024, 11:10:09 AM »
Hi Kirk,
I don't of mind,

1. My doc folder is rather complex and big (½ TB and growing) but no app specific data there.

2. By default PM6 stores app data in the com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic folder in the (hidden) User Library - so it makes sense to store ALL application user data there and not spread in different locations - the hidden feature I see as a bonus to only be accessed.through the app.
I also 'hope' (not tested yet) that folder is 'portable' (import/export as described in another thread here) between my laptop and desktop to keep my administrative data in sync (wonder if I could have a subfolder there for my catalogs too?) -> thus giving access to the same catalogs in both machines! (that might be too much though to transfer every time I work on the laptop away from home, data are small files while catalogs can become big fast...).

3.Consistency in workflow working with metadata and lists.-> One stop backup of your personal preferences and current data.