Author Topic: Clean up metadata  (Read 1033 times)

Offline jvik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Clean up metadata
« on: May 09, 2024, 06:26:59 PM »
I'm trying to us Photo Mechanic Plus to reorganize metadata in lightroom (LRC). It's worked at bit - scan a directory of photos into a catalog, clean up the metadata, go back to LCR and synchronize the metadata for that directory. Thus using the batch editing capabilities of PM. The trouble is that I seem to have gotten to a point where I can no longer delete metadata in PM.

For instance, I have a year's worth of photos that have "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA" in the Description/caption field for many of the photos. So I select all the photos, do a Find/Replace, finding "OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA" and replacing it with nothing, looking in all of the locations. It reports, for example, Replaced 604 occurrances in 604 photos. So I select the information for one of the photos and it's still there.

I'm certain I am doing something wrong but beating my head on the wall trying to figure out what.

Help?

Offline jvik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Clean up metadata
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 07:27:09 PM »
Ummm - I just may be because I had LRC open at the time? Closed LRC and things seem to work again. Still - if there's something I need to know>>>

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2024, 02:18:06 PM »
If LRC is opening the files and keeping other applications from updating them then PM won't be able to update them.  Were no errors reported during the Find and Replace operation?

-Kirk

Offline jvik

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2024, 11:06:33 AM »
If LRC is opening the files and keeping other applications from updating them then PM won't be able to update them.  Were no errors reported during the Find and Replace operation?

No errors were reported, but after I closed LRC everything worked as expected.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 01:47:04 PM by Kirk Baker »