Author Topic: RAM usage extremly high with just drag and drop  (Read 2129 times)

Offline sportimage

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
RAM usage extremly high with just drag and drop
« on: May 11, 2024, 05:27:28 PM »
Hi,

I am experiencing extremly high RAM usage and stalling of the whole system when sinply dragging selected photos (even 2,3 photos only) to another app (like Lightroom or PS). This was not happening before.

The whole system also hangs during the operation and this usually took just a second or two is now taking up to a minute.

System is completly inoperable during this. Started happening with the last update. It is everytime occurance and not just occasional.

Reinstall of PM did not help.

Photomechanic 6.0 build 7102 (796dd4a) on Windows 11.

Offline vale

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: RAM usage extremly high with just drag and drop
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2024, 03:20:18 AM »
maybe update to build 7441 will resolve the problem?

Offline sportimage

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 04:55:28 AM »
I did the Update check at the time of posting (via the menu in PM) and it said I have the current version.

I’ll manually download update if it is available.

Offline vale

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2024, 07:43:56 AM »
One reason of not showing you the update is that you got the OLD PM, with one time license.
To upgrade to 7441, you'll need to go to the subscription mode (ie: annual payments to keep it going).

Offline sportimage

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2024, 08:03:32 AM »
Yes I do have a one time licence.

Well I guess if my PM is not supported anymore and bugs like this don’t get addressed I’ll have to switch the software. After first trying a demo in 2008 and buying it soon after…

Offline vale

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2024, 08:42:50 AM »
Your version is not supported (it might get a few updates for another 10 months-if something broke bad) by camera bits, the new one (as long as you pay) will work

From my understanding, as soon as you 'lose' the window with PM open, then, the other application is in charge of the files (Lightroom, PS, win explorer, etc). So the load will be on them, not on PM anymore. Are you up to date on lr and ps?
Also, what are the others apps that eat up your ram to that percentage?

Offline sportimage

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2024, 08:48:08 AM »
Everything updated, PC is quite beefed up, 64Gb ram, 5900K amd, ssd gen 4 drives, rtx 3090, etc.

It's hogging ram even with LR or PS closed. Just having the window open. Single contact sheet.

The only other ram hog at that time was Chrome. Does not change anything even if I close it.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2024, 09:30:42 AM »
I am experiencing extremly high RAM usage and stalling of the whole system when sinply dragging selected photos (even 2,3 photos only) to another app (like Lightroom or PS). This was not happening before.

The whole system also hangs during the operation and this usually took just a second or two is now taking up to a minute.

System is completly inoperable during this. Started happening with the last update. It is everytime occurance and not just occasional.

Please ignore the advice of vale.  He knows that your license won't work with the 7441 build of Photo Mechanic.  He is also aware that there are few differences between the 7102 build that you're running and the 7441 build that he is advising you to try.

Photo Mechanic 6 is still fully supported by Camera Bits.  We will help you with problems that you may have, such as this one.  We're also planning at least another free update to the Photo Mechanic 6 product line.

The Memory Cache setting in Photo Mechanic's Preferences controls how much memory it uses.  Given that your system has 64 GB of RAM and the minimum Memory Cache setting is 10%, it seems that PM is not using more memory than intended.

I suggest contacting our direct support personnel on Monday.  They will troubleshoot the issue with you directly.  You can contact them at:

By email: support@camerabits.com

By phone: +1 503.547.2888

Hours: Mon-Fri, 9:00am-5:00pm [PST/PDT]

In the meantime, if you're certain that the problem started with the 7102 build of Photo Mechanic 6, then you could try uninstalling Photo Mechanic 6 and then installing the previous build you were using or any of the older builds listed here: https://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?board=15.0

-Kirk

Offline vale

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2024, 09:42:42 AM »
I am NOT advised him to upgrade to 7441 if he is on the old subscription. It was a discussion about versions and what was it's latest that he could upgrade to. It's the first advice given on these cases (as I asked him also about updates on others programs).
I also stated that PM IS supported another few months, based on your statements when announced the new pricing structure.
And my next advice was to also try to downgrade to previous version, but you got here first :)

Offline sportimage

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2024, 09:48:05 AM »
I uninstalled 7102 and installed build 6890.

Same folder opened in contact sheet, same tasks:

6890 is using from 150-315Mb of RAM
7102 >6Gb of RAM

I was not exactly worried about total ram (as you said that´s the cache setting) since there was enough left but somehow that was consistent with other issues that hogged thw whole system. But in contrast 6890 is using almost zero ram (150-300Mb) for the exact same folder of images and tasks and all is running smooth.

For now I´ll just stick with 6890 and wait if there will be a new upgrade even for us with perpetual licence.

Thanks!

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2024, 01:26:03 PM »
I uninstalled 7102 and installed build 6890.

Same folder opened in contact sheet, same tasks:

6890 is using from 150-315Mb of RAM
7102 >6Gb of RAM

I was not exactly worried about total ram (as you said that´s the cache setting) since there was enough left but somehow that was consistent with other issues that hogged thw whole system. But in contrast 6890 is using almost zero ram (150-300Mb) for the exact same folder of images and tasks and all is running smooth.

For now I´ll just stick with 6890 and wait if there will be a new upgrade even for us with perpetual licence.

Thanks!

I'm glad that reverting to a prior build seems to work for you, but we didn't really make any changes from build 6890 to 7102 that would explain why this would be a new issue, nor have I gotten any reports of similar issues that would constitute a trend that began with the release of build 7086 in February (7102 didn't contain any changes at all for Windows). That said, if this is a bug that was introduced with a newer build, we absolutely want to get it figured out. I'll do my best to try to reproduce the problem that you've described on my own systems, but if you want to expedite the troubleshooting process it would probably be best if you call us, as Kirk suggested previously.

Offline threiner

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2024, 03:38:17 PM »
I have similar issues bur in most cases making my PM crash when i open big foler with 3000  or more raws, i am running now 6890what worke more less well just some times freezing. I have a  i5-13600KF and 64 GB Ram an gen 4 NVME's so i have no idea why this happen.

Offline sportimage

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2024, 04:12:24 PM »
My folder was 5000 photos and with v9860 there are no issues. At least not noticable.

But my computer is quite “beefed up” with ram, ssds, processor,…

So I am sticking to that version for the time being.