Author Topic: Interim ingest while traveling  (Read 966 times)

Offline 30west

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Interim ingest while traveling
« on: May 15, 2024, 12:07:56 PM »
I would like to do "end of day" photo Ingest while on tourist trips, but I think (and have tested this) if I do a file rename during ingest, then I either need to delete that days shots from the camera card, or remember the original file name to capture ONLY the new day's photos. This can probably be done by reviewing the exif date info, but wondered if there any features to simplify this that I have missed. If I do NOT rename the files during ingest, then any xmp sidecars will reflect the original in-camera file name and be disassociated when I later rename the files. If I rename the files upon returning home using PM, would the sidecars also get renamed to stay in sync?

Are there other workflows that anyone can recommend to avoid this scenario?

thanks

gary

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Interim ingest while traveling
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2024, 12:54:31 PM »
Gary,

I would like to do "end of day" photo Ingest while on tourist trips, but I think (and have tested this) if I do a file rename during ingest, then I either need to delete that days shots from the camera card, or remember the original file name to capture ONLY the new day's photos. This can probably be done by reviewing the exif date info, but wondered if there any features to simplify this that I have missed. If I do NOT rename the files during ingest, then any xmp sidecars will reflect the original in-camera file name and be disassociated when I later rename the files. If I rename the files upon returning home using PM, would the sidecars also get renamed to stay in sync?

Are you using Incremental Ingest?  It should do what you're wanting to do and it doesn't care if you rename photos during the ingest or any time after that.  It keeps track of what it copied (the source) and not what they became at the destination.

https://docs.camerabits.com/support/solutions/articles/48000207409-ingesting-photos

(look for Incremental Ingest)

-Kirk

Offline 30west

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 05:03:25 PM »
I was totally unfamiliar with "incremental" ingest and will explore that option immediately. Thanks for the prompt and very helpful response.

gary

Offline Bob M

• View Profile
    • The McElroys of Point Alexander
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2024, 05:20:08 PM »
... If I do NOT rename the files during ingest, then any xmp sidecars will reflect the original in-camera file name and be disassociated when I later rename the files. ...

This is not correct, is it?  If you rename using PM, the xmp files get renamed as well.  Or am I completely missing the issue?