Author Topic: Single, multiple catalogs and images location  (Read 1739 times)

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
Single, multiple catalogs and images location
« on: May 16, 2024, 04:21:43 AM »
Hello everyone,

I'm adding some new folders to Photo Mechanic catalog and I'm still not sure if to use a single or a multiple catalog. For now I didn't use the Photo Mechanic default catalog and I created a single catalog with the name of each hard drive I've with my photograph stored. I'm thinking to create a unique catalog for all the hard drives but I've a doubt: when some of my hard drives are offline and I'll see the yellow status indicator near the photo I can understand it is not online but there's a way to see the file path? Because if I can't remember on which hard drive the photo is located maybe could be better to create a catalog for every hard drive (ArmorATD_1, ArmorATD_2, GDriveUSBC_1, GDriveUSBC_2, etc).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 05:24:26 AM by elianoimperato »
e l i a n o imperato

Offline ahoward

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Single, multiple catalogs and images location
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 07:54:26 AM »
When you click on any image in the contact sheet, the path to that image is shown at the bottom of the window. If one hard per catalog makes sense to you, do that, there’s nothing wrong with that approach. Other folks have done a catalog for every year or a catalog for categories of their work (sports, weddings, portraits, etc), it’s all a bit redundant, because you could easily pull up images based on this information using the features of the catalog itself, but it’s whatever works for you.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 08:21:10 AM by ahoward »

Offline elianoimperato

• Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • eliano imperato
Re: Single, multiple catalogs and images location
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2024, 04:23:43 PM »
When you click on any image in the contact sheet, the path to that image is shown at the bottom of the window.

So I'll use a unique catalog for sure. Thank you!
e l i a n o imperato