Author Topic: Importing Metadata  (Read 688 times)

Offline Bildarchivare

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Importing Metadata
« on: June 11, 2024, 03:39:59 AM »
Dear all, I am presently struggling with how to export metadata from files and import then in another set of files. I understand that this works by using the Text Exporter and Set Code Replacements. I also watched Bob's little movie, but I got stuck in the beginning when seeing the data in the Text Exporter. What do I have to put into the header? I had created text files but without filling out the header and, of course, it does not work... I am not sure about the syntax and contents of the header and how to produce a text file that can be imported into another set of picture files. Thank you and excuse my English.

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
Re: Importing Metadata
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2024, 10:13:27 AM »
Hello Bildarchivare,

If you are creating a basic Code Replacement file, it is not necessary to put anything in the Header section of the Exporter. However, if you want to make use of Hot Codes (which is what I would use if it were me) then you would use the Header section to name the Hot Codes.  You mentioned watching one of Bob's videos.  I also wanted to share this video that shows using Hot Codes to apply metadata to a set of files from a spreadsheet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHyl5inFvFs

I've also created this graphic (below) to help explain how the Exporter creates a file that you can use to help make your Code Replacement file.

If you run into more roadblocks, perhaps you can share a screenshot of your Exporter dialog settings so we can better understand what you are trying.

I hope this helps.

Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits

Offline Bildarchivare

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2024, 03:56:30 AM »
Hello Mick, thank you, I think that should work, now I fully understood the process. Just one more question: what about the variable iptcdate? I can't change the date in the IPTC template - what should I choose instead (Capture time, Date.....). Annette

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2024, 08:53:47 AM »
Hi Annette,

what about the variable iptcdate? I can't change the date in the IPTC template - what should I choose instead (Capture time, Date.....).
You can adjust capture date/times by selecting images and going to the menu Tools > Adjust Capture Dates and Times.  If you're trying to add Capture Date/Time to a new set of files, you can do this as the next step after you write metadata to those files.

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits