Author Topic: Windows ARM native support  (Read 875 times)

Offline dperenic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Windows ARM native support
« on: June 29, 2024, 03:08:51 AM »
Qualcomm’s Snapdragon X Elite, a 12-core Arm chip, has been making waves in terms of performance and efficiency. It's safe to say that the future of PCs will be (at least partially) ARM-based:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/copilot-plus-pcs

A native ARM build of Photo Mechanics on Windows that leverages all ARM CPU instructions and capabilities would improve speed of Photo Mechanics and thus user experience.

Offline cliffetzelphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • website
Re: Windows ARM native support
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2024, 11:53:58 AM »
As I was just told by Kirk in my request for an iPadOS version of PM (Also ARM Instruction set), they don't have the resources to develop for the platform/hardware.

Personally, that response is a slow lingering decline and potential demise of the company.  I wish it were otherwise.
Cliff Etzel - Photographer, Storyteller, Humanitarian

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Windows ARM native support
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2024, 11:58:17 AM »
Cliff,

As I was just told by Kirk in my request for an iPadOS version of PM (Also ARM Instruction set), they don't have the resources to develop for the platform/hardware.

Building PM for Windows with an ARM processor is nearly as difficult as creating a bespoke iOS version of Photo Mechanic.  Rebuilding PM for ARM on Windows would be a much more doable task and within our abilities/resources.  We'll watch the market and see how it develops.

-Kirk