Author Topic: Synology Drive Not Seeing Metadata Changes in Local Files  (Read 3083 times)

Offline NicDBPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Synology Drive Not Seeing Metadata Changes in Local Files
« on: August 20, 2024, 07:55:10 AM »
Hi all,

Using PM Ver 6 Build 7102

I have a vast amount of photos in the form of NEF/JPEGS/CR2/PSD/TIFFs etc on a local HDD and backed up to a Synology NAS.
A lot of these images are from older digital cameras and or iPhones or scans from prints.
I do batch edits of Metadata from time to time on folders of images, adding descriptions, keywords, people etc as and when I can or if I get the info I need. A lot of these are family photos etc with people I don't know.
However, I would have thought Synology Drive would identify when an image file is changed (with metadata) and then automatically backed up as the newest version. Apparently it is not as Synology doesn't seem to see these edits. I have to manually drag the newly edited images into the backup folder and get it to overwrite the whole lot. This is not very efficient.

Any pointers to where I am going wrong? Must be others with similar issues.

Many thanks

Nic

BTW - I love PhotoMechanic. It's by far the best editor I've come across in 22 years of digital photography!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Synology Drive Not Seeing Metadata Changes in Local Files
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2024, 07:58:57 AM »
Nic,

Using PM Ver 6 Build 7102

I have a vast amount of photos in the form of NEF/JPEGS/CR2/PSD/TIFFs etc on a local HDD and backed up to a Synology NAS.
A lot of these images are from older digital cameras and or iPhones or scans from prints.
I do batch edits of Metadata from time to time on folders of images, adding descriptions, keywords, people etc as and when I can or if I get the info I need. A lot of these are family photos etc with people I don't know.
However, I would have thought Synology Drive would identify when an image file is changed (with metadata) and then automatically backed up as the newest version. Apparently it is not as Synology doesn't seem to see these edits. I have to manually drag the newly edited images into the backup folder and get it to overwrite the whole lot. This is not very efficient.

What software is doing the backup?  Are there any file extensions that the backup software ignores?  Some file formats (TIFF-based RAW files, depending on your settings in PM) will use XMP sidecar files to store the metadata and the image doesn't change when metadata is updated.

-Kirk

Offline NicDBPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2024, 08:28:51 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I'm using Synology Drive Client to sync this.

Here are the screen shots of the rules

Offline NicDBPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2024, 08:50:19 AM »
Hi Kirk,

I think I may have cracked it now. I created some test folders and it seems to be doing as expected now. Not sure what the issue was before. User error most likely!

Now - new problem - how do I get it to stop copying all my Lightroom folder edits and files?? Probably a question for a Lightroom Forum unless you know an answer?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2024, 09:34:07 AM »
Now - new problem - how do I get it to stop copying all my Lightroom folder edits and files?? Probably a question for a Lightroom Forum unless you know an answer?

No, I don't know anything about Lightroom folder edits and files.

-Kirk

Offline LarsSmook

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2024, 03:58:00 AM »
This might be the same issue I experience(d) with Synology Photos. Or at least it might be related. While Synology Photos the XMP doesn't read correctly. Maybe the Synology Drive application doesn't see any changes as well while it can't read them?

https://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=15758.msg77309#msg77309