Author Topic: Nikon NKSC sidecar files  (Read 2586 times)

Offline asherjackson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Nikon NKSC sidecar files
« on: August 27, 2024, 07:15:06 PM »
Hello,

I'm testing a trial version of PM and I use Nikon system. The latest RAW processor software from Nikon called NX-Studio is saving parameters in sidecar files *.nksc which are stored in NKSC_PARAM subfolder. In PM configuration I can enable NKSC files support, but don't know what does it mean, can you please explain it to me or provide a link to some help page?

If I copy or move NEF file, does NKSC sidecar copy/move too? It seems like it doesn't or there is some bug.

Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Nikon NKSC sidecar files
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2024, 07:32:09 PM »
Asher,

I'm testing a trial version of PM and I use Nikon system. The latest RAW processor software from Nikon called NX-Studio is saving parameters in sidecar files *.nksc which are stored in NKSC_PARAM subfolder. In PM configuration I can enable NKSC files support, but don't know what does it mean, can you please explain it to me or provide a link to some help page?

If I copy or move NEF file, does NKSC sidecar copy/move too? It seems like it doesn't or there is some bug.

Photo Mechanic does not treat these .NKSC files as associated with NEF files.  Photo Mechanic is not aware of them at all.  Because Photo Mechanic does not add these .NKSC files as attached files, they will not be copied/moved/renamed when the NEF file undergoes these operations.

It sounds like they're proprietary files for the use of the NX-Studio application and they're not generated by your camera.  Generally PM doesn't look for files to attach to images in subfolders.  Most sidecar files that we're aware of reside in the same folder as the images and have the same base name, only differing in file extension.

-Kirk