Author Topic: Raw file showed a small files size (and small view at 100%). Restart fixed.  (Read 2120 times)

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
Hi, this is another case where a restart fixed a problem, but I don't understand where it came from. The file is from a new Canon R5 II and should be 5464x8192 px.

I noticed one image in a series was much smaller at 100% in PM. On checking the Info panel it showed the image as 1620x1080. I know PM uses the embedded Jpegs for fast preview (unless the User sets it to generate from the Raws with a big performance hit), so I assumed the camera had made an error in generating the embedded Jpeg. I checked in CaptureOne which generates its view from the Raws and saw the file was as expected.

Rescan and Refresh did not make a difference. After having found that a restart fixed another problem within PM I tried that. On restart PM saw and displayed the full size Jpeg preview.

Any idea where this problem could originate? Any way to improve PMs ability to Rescan that would allow this problem to be fixed without a Restart?

Two screenshots of the same image. See the different Height and Width shown, and the difference in magnification at 100%.

Photo Mechanic Version 6.0, build 7212 (90865b3)
Mac OS Sonoma 14.6.1

Thanks,
Ric Cohn

Offline Bob Russell

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Raw file showed a small files size (and small view at 100%). Restart fixed.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2024, 10:35:17 AM »
Hi Ric,

The CR3 files have multiple embedded jpegs for the thumbnail, preview and full sized image. I am suspecting there was some error reading the full sized image in the cr3 file so Photo Mechanic fell back to the 1620 x 1080 preview. PM created the Disk Cache file based on this smaller pixel dimension image. When you quit Photo Mechanic, the Disk Cache was emptied allowing Photo Mechanic to create a new Cached image the next time it reads the cr3 file. The Caching Preference page has an option to empty the Disk Cache. Just click the Empty Now button on the right side of the page, the next time you have this issue. This will be faster than restarting Photo Mechanic.

Best regards,

--Bob

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
Re: Raw file showed a small files size (and small view at 100%). Restart fixed.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2024, 05:45:24 PM »
Thanks Bob,

I did not realize there were different size Jpegs embedded in the Raw. That explains how there could be a different size preview displayed. Emptying the cache does fix this, although I'm not sure the time is significantly different than a restart. Still, knowing this can happen and how to fix it is good (and that it has nothing to do with a damaged Raw file).