Author Topic: More Exif data for filtering images - very often requested feature since 2020!  (Read 113 times)

Offline charly5

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I see everywhere in this forum the requested feature to add more Exif data (like shutterspeed etc.) for the filter system. Search the threads in the Support subforum. Most are from 2020 and 2021.

It is 3 years later now. We are at PM+ 6 now. What is the current status quo regarding this often requested feature?

The filter system is for me the most important feature of photomechanic plus and the main reason to buy it. The filter system is the only reason why I still use LR 6 for cataloging my photos.

There should be no limit for the filter criteria. Let the user decide what is important for him.

Take a closer look at Lightroom 6 (very old) and its capability regarding filters. PM needs to be competitive here.

I used many different cameras and lenses over the last 20 years. I want to filter images I made on a specific year or camera body or zoom or focal range of that zoom etc. pp.- I also want to see which ISO or aperture or shutter speed were used most often with the filtered images or filter just by those criteria and see a statistic about it. Even daytime of the shot is interesting to see in combination with camera model etc. Do I use camera x more often at low light than camera y etc.

Filter criteria are the best way to learn our user behaviour, check which camera we really use often and become better photographers by seeing concentrated what we did do when with what in which circumstances and the outcome of this.

Just open up the filter system for all these criteria. It is not a big deal to implement it but the added value for the end user and therefore number of switchers to PM+ will be significant. If it si slowing down the speed, so be it. The user decides how many filters he wants to use compared to speed problems.

A catalogue without a good filter system is like a car without wheels.

Below is a screenshot what a very old software from 2017 (Lightroom 6) offers already for metadata you can filter. If you want to convince Lightroom suers to switch over to PM+, you need to offer at least that old standard.

Adobe closed on 31.12.2023 its activation server for all perpetual Lightroom licences (LR6, LR5 etc.). As a consequence, as soon as you change your PC and want to install your old LR6/5 licence, you can not activate it anymore and therefore not open or use it anymore. This is illegal, but Adobe does not care.

So expect more Adobe users who are looking for alternatives and the catalogue filter feature is a feature that all LR users see as an important criteria why they choose LR in the old days. Now thy look which software offers these filter criteria too. Businesswise it might make sense to finally offer more filter criteria. ASAP