Photo Mechanic > Support

Polish characters for code replacement?

(1/4) > >>

dmwierz:
OK, so I'm covering an MLS game tonight between the Chicago Fire and Team Cracovia (Krakow) from Poland. I've screen-scraped the Cracovia roster from their Web site, and generated a Word and Excel document, and formated the text as Polish language, but whenever I save it as Text Tab, then try to use it, the Polish characters turn into "_". Any way to get around this?

When I re-open the the TXT file, the "_" are the, too, so any suggestions? If I save as an RTF the text retains the Polish characters, but PM doesn't seem to want to import the RTF file when I go to "Add" this as a Code Replacement file.

???

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: dmwierz on June 22, 2007, 01:07:04 PM ---OK, so I'm covering an MLS game tonight between the Chicago Fire and Team Cracovia (Krakow) from Poland. I've screen-scraped the Cracovia roster from their Web site, and generated a Word and Excel document, and formated the text as Polish language, but whenever I save it as Text Tab, then try to use it, the Polish characters turn into "_". Any way to get around this?

When I re-open the the TXT file, the "_" are the, too, so any suggestions? If I save as an RTF the text retains the Polish characters, but PM doesn't seem to want to import the RTF file when I go to "Add" this as a Code Replacement file.
--- End quote ---

You need to encode the text in the file as UTF-8 Unicode which will then handle all possible characters.

There are many text editors that can save in the UTF-8 format.

-Kirk

dmwierz:
Kirk,

Word and Excel offer UTF-16 encoding but not UTF-8, so I tried this and the file retained the characters within the file. However, when I imported the code replacement file, it failed to work.

???

Kirk Baker:

--- Quote from: dmwierz on June 22, 2007, 10:10:31 PM ---Word and Excel offer UTF-16 encoding but not UTF-8, so I tried this and the file retained the characters within the file. However, when I imported the code replacement file, it failed to work.
--- End quote ---

You'll need to use a simple text editor that supports UTF-8 encoding.  On Windows I recommend Notepad2:

http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html

On Mac OS X, I recommend TextWrangler2:

http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/

Both of these editors are easy to use and do a fine job of handling UTF-8 encoding.

-Kirk

dmwierz:
Kirk,

Thanks for the tip. Downloaded Text Wrangler, then imported the UTF-8 file into PM, and still, it doesn't work. When I try to use the "\xyz\" convention, nothing happens. Perhaps I can send you the file I made? Code replacement works with all the other files I've made in Word or Excel, but not this one.

The point will soon be moot as I'm captioning the images right now, and may end up just cutting and pasting the names from the UTF-8 file. Will sure be a pain, though.

Ideas?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version